Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: What is your experience with online counselling or therapy?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have tried it and liked it

5 22.73%
  • I have tried it and did NOT like it

1 4.55%
  • I haven't tried it but would consider it

6 27.27%
  • I haven't tried it and would NOT consider it

1 4.55%
  • I prefer online therapy

1 4.55%
  • I prefer regular offline face-to-face therapy

8 36.36%
  • I worry about how it will be regulated

3 13.64%
  • I have other concerns about online therapy

3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Would You Want to Do Therapy Online?

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessX View Post
    Skype is extremely unsafe. ..... Stay away from Skype.
    What information brought you to that conclusion?
    Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Maybe just bad luck, but I know it is very easy to record anything going on on Skype. It happened to me before with private conversations on personal issues that were recorded with free spyware/malware. And I am talking about records of video + insant messages. I personally would never try to violate someone's privacy like that, but the option is out there. I have no idea what are the statistics, how often does this happen to other people. I personally would not use Skype for anything containing private info after this happened.

Of course, any technology poses risks, same might happen with other programs or even when using a phone. Overall, I think online therapy is a great idea. For people living in big cities it saves hours of commute and for people living in small towns it offers the advantage of not meeting your therapist in the mall or in the park. For me, I would rather buy safe software or install quality anti-virus protection than spend 1-2 hrs driving + 25$ for parking.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessX
    It happened to me before with private conversations on personal issues that were recorded with free spyware/malware.
    Was this recording done on your system or on your correspondent's system? Was it voluntary or surreptitiously done with neither party's knowledge being malware as you alluded to?

I understand there are utilities available for this purpose, so it's like anything else on the internet, where we have to be careful about what we disclose that can be directly linked to us, if we want to maintain privacy about specific matters.
    Steve

It was installed on my system and it was of course with neither party's knowledge. It was a disaster. I was talking to a close friend who is a psyhiatrist and we shared a lot of personal and private information online. Of course, I informed the other party This was almost an alternative to therapy for me.
    Nothing is private or safe nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessX View Post
    It was installed on my system and it was of course with neither party's knowledge. It was a disaster. ............
    Nothing is private or safe nowadays.
    Now that is more serious, when a potentially unwanted program (PUP) becomes installed on one's system without one's knowledge nor consent. Presumably then, the author or perpetrator was using harvesting information from your system for his/her own benefit and was invading your privacy.

Has your system been restored to safe and secure state?

Do you know the source and the origin of this malware?

What steps have you taken to protect your system in the future?
    Steve

I changed my computers, have Anti-Virus and do not share private information online. I also started reading more about computers, but I am not very ahead yet, due to having a hectic life.

---------- Post Merged at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:30 PM ----------

I forgot to mention my husband installed this malware on my computer, I guess that makes it not a PUP. But there was no way to find out that there is such a program installed while using skype, which I found frustrating.

I forgot to mention my husband installed this malware on my computer
    Do you mean it was installed intentionally for the purpose of recording your Skype conversation?

If this is your own computer, you need to password protect it. If it's a shared computer, you need to create your own user account, and password protect it for the same reason.

If you don't know how to check for programs and processes that are running, have a computer professional check your computer, clean it up then password protect it with a secure password. A secure password contains upper and lower case letters as well as numbers and at least one symbol. The password should not have any connection to you, like a birthday or address, but make it something you can remember. I like to use words spelled backwards: Y3kc1M#suoM This password is MickeyMouse spelled backward using a secure formula....(e is upper case 3)
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12