Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Protecting Your Identity OnThe Forum: Remaining Anonymous

What if someone shares your post on Facebook or Twitter? Even if a person is careful not to give any clues as to their identity, things they say can be seen by anyone, so there's a risk of someone seeing something that will at least make them think it might be somebody they know. For example, I have been talking about my problems with a person who would recognize herself immediately if she saw certain of my posts even though I was very careful to keep names, places, and personal details out of those posts. Why is there a "share" link beside posts, and a Facebook type of "Like" button at the top of the page? I have searched Facebook and not found a connection between this forum and Facebook, but it was very easy to find several tweets on Twitter. I did a quick search, then picked at random and followed one link that was posted, and straight away I was able to read all the posts in a thread about Dissociative Disorders.

I worry way less about someone visiting this forum and seeing one of my posts that would ring a bell in their minds than I do about this stuff being all over social media.

Am I worrying over nothing, or do I need to be even more careful what I say?

Thanks,

BB
    The way to do is to be - Lao Tzu

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we've ever had a problem with inadvertent disclosure. Few people use those features, which were part of an add-on package to the forum software, and as far as I know the few times they were used were to publicize research articles or factual articles rather than personal threads.

However, you make a very good point:

Why is there a "share" link beside posts, and a Facebook type of "Like" button at the top of the page?
    I've already removed these. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, David. I know I'm over-anxious about things in general, and due to a couple of unhappy experiences, I'm extra anxious when it comes to the way what someone says in one place can end up in other places. I realize with the thinking part of my brain that the odds of anyone's posts going involuntarily public are very low, but then there's the other half of my brain,and when I found out how easy it was to track a tweet back to this site, it was really scary to me.

I've already removed these.
    I can't tell you how much of a relief it is for me to read this. There was some discussion on another thread about this, and some seemed to be feeling a bit worried as well, so I expect they'll also be happy to have those features gone.

BB
    The way to do is to be - Lao Tzu

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you point me to that other thread? I haven't been on the forum very regularly for the past few months.

Never mind. I found it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12