Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quotes on Therapy

"We may define therapy as a search for value."
    ~ Abraham Maslow

"You know I think that going into therapy is a very positive thing, and talking about it is really helpful, because the more you talk the more your fears fade, because you get it out."
    ~ Fran Drescher

"What a beautiful garbage dump therapy can be. Generations of psychic pollutants pour into therapy. The beauty of therapy survives them."
    ~ Michael Eigen, Psychic Deadness

"Only the wounded healer can truly heal."
    ~ Irvin Yalom, Lying on the Couch

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

"In my early professional years I was asking the question: How can I treat, or cure, or change this person? Now I would phrase the question in this way: How can I provide a relationship which this person may use for his own personal growth?"
    ~ Carl Rogers

"Country music has always been the best shrink that 15 bucks can buy."
    ~ Dierks Bentley

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

"Psychotherapy isn't what you think."
    ~ James Bugental

"Many women coming to therapy are already healthier than others who do not seek counseling. They want greater understanding of themselves and more personal growth." ~ Helen V. Collier, Counseling Women (1982)
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Quotes on Therapy

Awesome Carl Roger's quote! It is also true for teachers. Thanks for posting.

Chris

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A therapist doesn't heal, he lets healing be.

~ Dr. Helen Schucman
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Experience is, for me, the highest authority. The touchstone of validity is my own experience. No other person's ideas, and none of my own ideas, are as authoritative as my experience. It is to experience that I must return again and again, to discover a closer approximation to truth as it is in the process of becoming in me."

"We cannot change, we cannot move away from what we are, until we thoroughly accept what we are. Then change seems to come about almost unnoticed.”

“Once an experience is fully in awareness, fully accepted, then it can be coped with effectively, like any other clear reality.”

― Carl R. Rogers, On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy

A finely tuned understanding by another individual gives the recipient a sense of personhood, of identity. In the ordinary interactions of life congruence is probably the most important element. Congruence, or genuineness, involves letting the other person know "who you are" emotionally. It may involve confrontation and the straightforward expression of personally owned feelings - both negative and positive.

― Carl R. Rogers, A Way of Being

---------- Post Merged at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:22 AM ----------

"We teach people that they upset themselves. We can't change the past, so we change how people are thinking, feeling and behaving today."

"There are three musts that hold us back: I must do well. You must treat me well. And the world must be easy."

~ Albert Ellis
    Last edited by Daniel; October 4th, 2015 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a lot of console and a lot of answers in reading Albert Ellis. I read only one of his books. He is a pioneer and a lot of his ideas were adopted by later CBT called authors. Very talented man, impressive ideas could be found in his books. To me, he is bigger than David Burns.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW:

Rogers and Ellis, however, do share several important beliefs and values:

1. Great optimism that people can change, even when deeply disturbed.

2. A perception that individuals are often unnecessarily self-critical, and that negative attitudes can become positive.

3. A willingness to put forth great effort to help people; both through individual therapy and through professional therapy and nontechnical
    writing, and

4. A willingness to demonstrate their methods publicly.

PERSON-CENTRED THERAPY VS. RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with Carl Rogers, but Albert Ellis is the author who, if read properly, allows to find answers and solutions to difficult problems, and to even understand why people engage in the relationships they do. I like his approach and hope to have more time to read his books. The book I read was: "The secret of overcoming verbal abuse: Getting off the emotional roller coaster and regaining control of your life" by Albert Ellis and Marcia Powers.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I like DBT. It combines both approaches -- Ellis-like CBT with Rogers-like validation -- along with mindfulness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am happy you found out what works for you , thanks for sharing the articles!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Every day, in little ways, we deepen the groove of habitual thoughts that directly influence the quality of our lives by what we think and say to ourselves on a regular basis." - Cheryl Richardson, life coach

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast