Thanks Thanks:  130
Likes Likes:  113
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Quotes on Therapy

“In my early professional years I was asking the question: How can I treat, or cure, or change this person? Now I would phrase the question in this way: How can I provide a relationship which this person may use for his own personal growth?”

“There is no doubt that I am selective in my listening, hence "directive" if people wish to accuse me of this. I am centered in the group member who is speaking, and am unquestionably much less interested in the details of his quarrel with his wife, or of his difficulties on the job, or his disagreement with what has just been said, than in the meaning these experience have for him now and the feeling they arouse in him. It is to these meanings and feelings that I try to respond.”

― Carl R. Rogers

“I honestly didn’t realize at the time that I was dealing with myself. But I suppose it’s true that I developed a therapy that provides the things I needed for so many years and never got.”

“A patient's passivity must not be unilaterally interpreted as lack of motivation, resistance, lack of confidence, or the like. Many times, passivity is a function of inadequate knowledge and/or skills.”

― Marsha Linehan
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Fritz Perls (the father of Gestalt Psychotherapy) was right: Most people enter therapy simply to become comfortable with their neuroses. A few, however, come to learn how to fulfill their potential."

"Sometimes a client of mine bemoans the fact that they're 25 or 35 or 45 and have not yet 'made it' or figured out what to do with their lives. I then tell them the story of how I became a therapist..."

~ Charley Wininger, "Confessions of a Therapist"
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Research has generally found a positive relationship between treatment length and clinical outcomes such that more individuals will show significant change or recovery with increasing treatment length. It is therefore important that you have a sufficient amount of treatment and reasonable expectations for treatment length before deciding treatment is not working."

~ American Psychological Association, How Long Will It Take for Treatment to Work?

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People seek out therapy not for information, but for novel experiences that lead to novel change.

- Dr. Jacques Legault

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking why I am a therapist is kind of like asking “What are relationships good for anyway?” We all face questions about the meaning of life. There is a lot of loneliness in the world and at times things can seem dark. To be able to accompany people on their journey of self-understanding and change and shine some light into their life is a privilege.

– Nicole Amesbury

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change."

~ Carl Rogers

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, psychotherapy at its best is like dual meditation - it's like a container in which you can be compassionate and mindful toward yourself.

Jack Kornfield

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself. A mentor is someone who allows you to know that no matter how dark the night, in the morning, joy will come. A mentor is someone who allows you to see the higher part of yourself when sometimes it becomes hidden to your own view.” —Oprah Winfrey

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The things most people need to learn in therapy are related to attachment, abandonment, love, and fear. We are trying to access basic emotional processes that are organized in primitive and early-developing parts of the brain. The language of these emotions is also very basic; it is the language of childhood.

- Louis Cozolino

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast