When I was a kid, someone diagnosed very fine motor disorder (which your link supports as a side cause).

I filled out the relevant questionnaire below (n/a for toddler questions and added some remarks, T for true, F for false).

I should also add that it is only a subset of all possible touch variations which cause the abnormal distress (clothes with certain fabrics). Moreover, this touch hypersensitivity disorder does not explain my subconscious aversion to collars and buttons.

1. Hypersensitivity To Touch (Tactile Defensiveness)

F becomes fearful, anxious or aggressive with light or unexpected touch

n/a as an infant, did/does not like to be held or cuddled; may arch back, cry, and pull away

n/a distressed when diaper is being, or needs to be, changed

F appears fearful of, or avoids standing in close proximity to other people or peers (especially in lines)

F becomes frightened when touched from behind or by someone/something they can not see (such as under a blanket)

T complains about having hair brushed; may be very picky about using a particular brush

F bothered by rough bed sheets (i.e., if old and "bumpy")

F avoids group situations for fear of the unexpected touch

F resists friendly or affectionate touch from anyone besides parents or siblings (and sometimes them too!)

n/a dislikes kisses, will "wipe off" place where kissed

n/a prefers hugs

F a raindrop, water from the shower, or wind blowing on the skin may feel like torture and produce adverse and avoidance reactions

F may overreact to minor cuts, scrapes, and or bug bites

T avoids touching certain textures of material (blankets, rugs, stuffed animals)

T (stiff/rough fabrics preferred though) refuses to wear new or stiff clothes, clothes with rough textures, turtlenecks, jeans, hats, or belts, etc.

F avoids using hands for play

(true for sand) avoids/dislikes/aversive to "messy play", i.e., sand, mud, water, glue, glitter, playdoh, slime, shaving cream/funny foam etc.

(somewhat true) will be distressed by dirty hands and want to wipe or wash them frequently

(don’t know) excessively ticklish

(don’t know what this is) distressed by seams in socks and may refuse to wear them

F distressed by clothes rubbing on skin; may want to wear shorts and short sleeves year round, toddlers may prefer to be naked and pull diapers and clothes off constantly

F or, may want to wear long sleeve shirts and long pants year round to avoid having skin exposed

F (however, cream/lotion on the face triggeres some distress) distressed about having face washed

F distressed about having hair, toenails, or fingernails cut

F resists brushing teeth and is extremely fearful of the dentist

T is a picky eater, only eating certain tastes and textures; mixed textures tend to be avoided as well as hot or cold foods; resists trying new foods

F may refuse to walk barefoot on grass or sand

F may walk on toes only

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Clothes that I found that do not cause the distress:
- jeans
- shorts
- washed-up/vintage, thin, 100% cotton tshirts
- roughed-up sweat shirts