Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would someone "fake" having DID?

Or is it really as common as it seems? This whole thing is confusing to me.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Why would someone "fake" having DID?

That is interesting. So it could be a number of reasons. It just seems like so many people have this disorder. It scares me to think that something bigger could be going on like some kind of conspiracy or something. Maybe I'm being paranoid?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The people who have this order they must have been diagnosed to have had it. Their doctors must have labelled them with it I think trauma can cause people to do alot of things not intentionally but they are reaching out for help yes.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
    The people who have this order they must have been diagnosed to have had it. Their doctors must have labelled them with it I think trauma can cause people to do alot of things not intentionally but they are reaching out for help yes.
    Actually, I think most of the people who claim to have this disorder are self-diagnosed, but it is true that others are diagnosed by incompetent practitioners who just get overly excited by the diagnosis.

As I have said before, the reality is that this disorder is rare and requires a very specific set of developmental circumstances which most of those claiming the diagnosis just do not have.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yet there are people with this disorder that have been diagnosed by a competent psychiatrist and for us to sit and judge that is not right
    I feel for all of them the ones you say that have been misdiagnosed but more for the ones that have been properly diagnosed but are seen to be neglected because of the judgement of others who do not believe them
    This DID it does exist and it is so very damaging to that person and their families
    I remember someone had just came back from war and they snapped and held their family hostage thinking they were the enemies that person went back to a time of great pain and fear and he could not distinquish reality anymore It happens more then you believe this disorder with wars and other tragedies happening i do believe there is more that do suffer from it but chose not to get the help because they will be judged.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly Multiple Personalities)

Certainly dissociation as a symptom exists and is not uncommon in PSTD but that is not DID.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just can't understand why someone would make up abuse that didn't happen.

Aren't there different mental disorders that could cause similar symptoms, like BPD or Bipolar Disorder?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know what DID is i know With regards to why someone who would make up abuse that person is craving attention something that pehaps they have not had in their life.

I think they are ill themselves something is wrong when someone intentionally makes up abuse story when they did not happen. It is so sad that this person has to stoop to something like that to get the attention they are craving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    this disorder requires a very specific set of developmental circumstances
    Exactly what do you mean by that? .....just curious

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast