Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Gabapentin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gabapentin

Anyone try Gabapentin for anxiety? Or depression? Is there significant weight gain with this drug?

My family doctor wants me to use this and come off HRT but my concern right now is that I need an antidepressant instead.

Thanks

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Gabapentin

Primary uses of gabapentin are for pain (postherpetic neuralgia) or seizure disorders, but like many medications these days there are several "off label" or secondary uses, including menopausal symptoms, anxiety, and sometimes depression, and fibromyalgia.

Known side effects include edema, dizziness, sleepiness, and fatigue. Although some sites report weight gain as a side effect, the clinical trials showed this to be infrequent (Study 1: 2.9% in drug group vs. 1.6% in placebo control group; Study 2: 1.8% in dru8g group vs. 0% in placebo control group).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, Dr Baxter! I will give it a try.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband was told by his GP that, although he was prescribing it to my husband primarily for pain, it was also effective as a mild antidepressant... He was on it for months and he didn't seem to gain any weight...
    (Formerly JollyGreenJellyBean)

My dog is a human whisperer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks JollyGJB!
    Took my first one tonight and looking forward to a really good sleep because it is apparently good for that too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else use Gabapentin for anxiety?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you looking for anecdotal evidence or for scientific? There is plenty of trials done on this medication, since it is an old and well researched drug. Prescribing physician must be aware of the recommendations as well. Subjective reviews are all over the net, but I wouldn't trust that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KarenRB53 View Post
    Anyone else use Gabapentin for anxiety?
    Yes, I do.

I have been feeling "off" for years now though, and I am beginning to believe this Neurontin is what is doing it.

Extremely physically weak, fatigued, coordination doesn't feel quite right.

I believe all of this started back around when I started on this stuff, but my life has been a bit of a haze in the last 5 years losing both my parents, a job due to drinking, and other things.

I used to love golf/golfing, and back around 2016 my golf swing just completely went haywire - out of whack. And that was right around the time I started on Neurontin, as I recall.

I was on a crazy dose at one point as well (2700mg a day) and I finally realized that was making me NUTS. I stopped it, then I'm back on it.

I am going to discuss some of this next week with a psychiatrist - though I wouldn't mind Dr. Baxter weighing in on this if he would like.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it can be a downer, as in causing lethargy. My husband only takes it at night now.