Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Child Abuse question?

Will I ever be able to get over the fact that I was abused as a child? Or will I just simply get better than I am now?

Heather...

The holw point of therapie heather is to get over it .. to talk about it so that it is no longuer always in your head and to help you deal with it in a better way than what you are presently doing .. by talking about it you will then surely feel released from it .. it won<T erase the fact that it does exist and it did happen but it will help you move on and cope with it you will not only feel better you will feel free... i think that<s what everyone<s been telling my(my psychologist & psychiatriste..)
    hope this was of use to you
    talk to you later
    chow
    ashley
    ashley-kate
    Life is all a perception. Do you see what I see? ...
    The more I fade away, the more they want me to stay...

Child Abuse question?

Hi Heather,

Your child abuse experiences are a part of your life, a chapter of your life. These memories will regularly affect your life but that chapter does not need to be the focus of your life. It is important to work through your feelings and to see how those experience impact the present. Healing will take time and patience. Regular therapy sessions are very important as well as a support system to help you along the way. I wish the best for you in your healing process. Take care,

Child Abuse question?

Hi Ashley and Comfortzone,

Thanks for the replies :)

I am getting better through therapy and I do hope that it stops being the focus of my life.

Thanks Dr Dobson for wishing me the best.

Heather...

Child Abuse question?

I think it's also important to remember that our experiences, good and not-so-good, are what helps to give us the empathy to help another deal with similar experiences when the situation arises. One day, you may find that your childhood experiences will give you the tools to help someone else. For that reason, while we must work our way through the emotional scarring that occurs as a result of negative experiences, we also need to see the value of those experiences once we've learned to deal with them appropriately.

Child Abuse question?

Yeah I understand where you are coming from ThatLady thanks for the reply, I am just sick of the pain. I will get over it though...

Heather...

Child Abuse question?

I can imagine you are sick of it, hon. It's got to be very difficult to live with something like that. Yet, you're working hard to learn how to cope with the experience and put the pain of it behind you. That's a big YES!!! for you! :-)

Child Abuse question?

Hi Heather,

I have found that the words we use impact our lives. I noticed you said "get over it." Getting over pain leads one to think of an obstacle that is being jumped and unmanaged (which could possibly be encountered again). I tend to look at such pain as something we have to work through sort of like one of those icebreaking ships. The treatment we are in can be like the icebreaking ship...breaking THROUGH the issues of life and bringing healing to those areas of life. My hope for all is to be able to get through the negative and find a lifestyle that is more satisfying. Take care,

Child Abuse question?

Thanks ThatLady -- I am working hard, 2 steps forward 10 steps backwards though, lol!!! But I am proud of myself for one thing -- I can now say I am angry that it happened to me and I didn't deserve it (this took a while, I always blamed myself), but now I sometimes winge that I am living everyday in pain for something I didn't do, but this is better than the blame!

Thanks comfortzone -- Thanks for what you said. I am bad I have a habit of saying 'i will get over it' meaning i probably won't and 'it's all good' meaning that it is actually bad.

Heather...

Child Abuse question?

Hi Heather;
    In the last decade, I have gone "through" the past. I won't sugar-coat it, it was a rough trip. But, if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. The pain does subside. Sometimes it comes to the surface. The difference now is that I know what it is, recognize it and am able to cope with it effectively. Part of going "through" it all means accepting that it did happen, and that it wasn't my fault. The other part is that while the abuse did have a tremendous affect and control over me then, it doesn't have the same privilege now.

Be patient with yourself, take that one step at a time, and when you need to take a couple back, keep moving forward anyways.
    Last edited by Cat Dancer; September 14th, 2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fixed odd characters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast