Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for OCD???

Help for OCD???

My flat mate has OCD and I am wondering is there any way to help her or is this being stupid because you would need to know what she does? Just curious and once you have it you have it for life right??? (my mum had it as well)...

Heather...

Help for OCD???

My flat mate has OCD and I am wondering is there any way to help her or is this being stupid because you would need to know what she does? Just curious and once you have it you have it for life right??? (my mum had it as well)...

Heather...

Help for OCD???

Yes. One can learn to manage OCD and the symptoms/intensity will wax and wane over time, especially according to how much general stress or anxiety the individual is experiencing at the time, but in the vast majority of cases it will not vanish entirely.

As for how to help her, other than by encouraging her to seek the help of an expoerfienced therapist and reassuring her that there are things she can learn to do and medications that will help her, I'd say the best way to help her is to do what is possible to help her problem-solve and reduce stress - focusing on the OCD itself isn't likely to help and may make it worse by drawing attention to it.

Help for OCD???

Yes. One can learn to manage OCD and the symptoms/intensity will wax and wane over time, especially according to how much general stress or anxiety the individual is experiencing at the time, but in the vast majority of cases it will not vanish entirely.

As for how to help her, other than by encouraging her to seek the help of an expoerfienced therapist and reassuring her that there are things she can learn to do and medications that will help her, I'd say the best way to help her is to do what is possible to help her problem-solve and reduce stress - focusing on the OCD itself isn't likely to help and may make it worse by drawing attention to it.

Help for OCD???

hey Heather! one of my best friends has OCD and she was diagnosed w/ this since her early teen years I guess? anyways, she's on meds (and did go to therapy a little I think a long time ago) and has definitely learned to manager her symptoms and the disorder and has a great life despite of it. She knows she has it, she's learned good coping mechanisms, and she's ok most of the time- as her friend though I do notice when she isn't ok and when she's just really stressed out about things or obsessed w/ things. as David said, helping to decrease the stress (by listening, offering suggestions to manage time better, help her out w/ something, talking things through) help a lot.. we don't really mention her OCD and most of our friends don't know she has it, but I think there;s still many ways you can help her w/out making it so obvious or throwing it in her face that she has OCD (not that you would do this). also, not everything she does is b/c of the OCD, which is an important thing to remember, it's the same for a depressed person, not every time they're sad means they're in a clinically depressive state. hope that helps!

Help for OCD???

hey Heather! one of my best friends has OCD and she was diagnosed w/ this since her early teen years I guess? anyways, she's on meds (and did go to therapy a little I think a long time ago) and has definitely learned to manager her symptoms and the disorder and has a great life despite of it. She knows she has it, she's learned good coping mechanisms, and she's ok most of the time- as her friend though I do notice when she isn't ok and when she's just really stressed out about things or obsessed w/ things. as David said, helping to decrease the stress (by listening, offering suggestions to manage time better, help her out w/ something, talking things through) help a lot.. we don't really mention her OCD and most of our friends don't know she has it, but I think there;s still many ways you can help her w/out making it so obvious or throwing it in her face that she has OCD (not that you would do this). also, not everything she does is b/c of the OCD, which is an important thing to remember, it's the same for a depressed person, not every time they're sad means they're in a clinically depressive state. hope that helps!

Help for OCD???

Thanks David and Eunoia,

I really want to help her because at some of the places that she goes people are so cruel to her and do not give her a chance, some people find it hard to see through the OCD. And she is starting to get annoyed by it as well. I don't throw it in her face that she has it, I wouldn't like her doing that to me re: my depression so give her what I would expect I guess!

I have to admit that it is hard to live with her at times because of it, as my mum had it and some of the things she does remind me of mum (and this isn't a good thing)! I do know that not all she does is related to the OCD but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the replies, Heather :)

Help for OCD???

Thanks David and Eunoia,

I really want to help her because at some of the places that she goes people are so cruel to her and do not give her a chance, some people find it hard to see through the OCD. And she is starting to get annoyed by it as well. I don't throw it in her face that she has it, I wouldn't like her doing that to me re: my depression so give her what I would expect I guess!

I have to admit that it is hard to live with her at times because of it, as my mum had it and some of the things she does remind me of mum (and this isn't a good thing)! I do know that not all she does is related to the OCD but thanks anyway.

Thanks for the replies, Heather :)

Help for OCD???

sometimes the only thing you can do in situations where people are being inconsiderate or just getting on your nerves is to walk away. this doesn't mean giving up or giving in to them, but sometimes it means you're the bigger person in the end. as easy as it sounds (even though it's not) I think a big part of life is surrounding yourself w/ people that genuinely care about you and vice versa and who are honest and non-judgmental. Some people will just not get it, you know? No matter how much you try or think it's your fault, it's not. Depending on what these places are that you talked about, maybe you or another supportive friend can go w/ her so that she's not completely alone, even if just for the first while... if she has a good social support network set up it'll help some...

I don't know about the things that she does that remind you of your mom... I guess it's a sign of OCD so there's nothing you can really do, maybe some of them wil get better if she goes sees someone, might take some meds... etc. does she know about your mom? how would she react if you were to bring her up (I understand thinking of your mom isn't a good thing, so obviously don't do this if it's too much pain, stress...)? I think if you read up on OCD stuff it might give you suggestions on how best to handle some of those things....she's lucky to have you!

Help for OCD???

sometimes the only thing you can do in situations where people are being inconsiderate or just getting on your nerves is to walk away. this doesn't mean giving up or giving in to them, but sometimes it means you're the bigger person in the end. as easy as it sounds (even though it's not) I think a big part of life is surrounding yourself w/ people that genuinely care about you and vice versa and who are honest and non-judgmental. Some people will just not get it, you know? No matter how much you try or think it's your fault, it's not. Depending on what these places are that you talked about, maybe you or another supportive friend can go w/ her so that she's not completely alone, even if just for the first while... if she has a good social support network set up it'll help some...

I don't know about the things that she does that remind you of your mom... I guess it's a sign of OCD so there's nothing you can really do, maybe some of them wil get better if she goes sees someone, might take some meds... etc. does she know about your mom? how would she react if you were to bring her up (I understand thinking of your mom isn't a good thing, so obviously don't do this if it's too much pain, stress...)? I think if you read up on OCD stuff it might give you suggestions on how best to handle some of those things....she's lucky to have you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast