Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Confused... what is my problem? What is causing this?

I live with another room mate. 8 years ago I had rather severe depression but that was a hard time in my life and I got past it. I'm not entirely isolated by any means, and meet up with people pretty regularly actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your experience sounds a little more volatile than my own, but I know some of what you're feeling. I moved 10 or 12 times before I turned 18 years old and I've lived in the UK, US, Germany and Canada. People from the new locale have a nasty habit of insulting where you came from. I've been angry and frustrated and imagined violent outbursts. Although, I wasn't too worried about acting out on them. My uncle also lived some years in Japan. I remember hearing some of his more frustrating experiences there.

Can I guess you're dealing with assumed superiority from locals? Japan isn't the only country that you find this arrogance. It can test anyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does sound a bit similar in some aspects. I'm always in control of my physical actions I feel, but the fact that I have my mind wander and feel the emotional effect makes me worry that it may get to the point where I flinch and do something stupid. Hence why I am trying to find out the source of this early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually a new country starts get better for me after a couple of years. Still, I've been in Canada since my teens and I still get treated like an outsider sometimes. Citizenship isn't enough for Canadians if you don't have a Canadian accent. People who say incredibly idiotic, racist and insulting things exist in all of the places I've lived or spent any significant amount of time in. Xenophobia is unfortunately everywhere. Some places are worse than others. I've found having a sense of humour and not taking myself too seriously helps.

Have you asked your family doctor or general practitioner or whoever your main healthcare provider is, for access to a therapist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty damn Xenophobic here. Not as severe as mainland China or other third world countries though, but not far off. I don't have a doctor or regular healthcare provider here actually. Just go to the local hospital I guess...

Is there anyway I can deal with this myself though? I'm a guy who likes to do it myself, rather than pay others to do things for me. I don't mind help, but I would like to avoid therapy if possible...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind help, but I would like to avoid therapy if possible...
    Why is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to a friend who is an ex-pat living in Japan, here are some resources for your consideration:

There are resources available for ex-pats but it requires a bit of tracking down to find based on need and location.

One nationwide organisation that recognises the need is the 'International Mental Health Professionals Japan'.

IMHPJ | International Mental Health Professionals Japan | Counseling, Psychotherapy, Mental Health Services in Tokyo, Osaka and other areas

This offers regional support and can be found in regional magazines and on embassy websites (USA, UK, Australia).

Specific support in the two major regions:

Tokyo:
    Tokyo Counseling Services

Kansai:
    English Counseling in Kansai (Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto) Japan. Counseling, Psychotherapy, psychiatry, and therapy by Skype or phone for foreigners in Kansai Japan: English speaking psychiatrist and psychotherapist in Kansai.

English Counseling Kansai, Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Japan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Steve! I will check them out.

I was mostly trying to avoid it for a combination of financial, time, and maybe just pride issues. Trying to deal with something that is a problem for me, by myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to deal with something that is a problem for me, by myself.
    Sometimes, though, when struggling with thoughts that cause distress, an objective helping hand is what is needed. We are not sufficiently objective to resolve our own issues, which is why consulting an objective third party, such as a therapist or mental health professional can help figure out what's going on, and provide rational options to resolve the issues.

If the resources are available to you, use them; you should not be judged and you should receive strategies to deal with the issues you have described.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12