Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  13
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What are you currently reading?

My reading list for a free, online "Mindshift" course from a university in Ontario through Coursera.
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the book behind the course:

Mindshift reveals how we can overcome stereotypes and preconceived ideas about what is possible for us to learn and become.

At a time when we are constantly being asked to retrain and reinvent ourselves to adapt to new technologies and changing industries, this book shows us how we can uncover and develop talents we didn’t realize we had—no matter what our age or background. We’re often told to “follow our passions.” But in Mindshift, Dr. Barbara Oakley shows us how we can broaden our passions. Drawing on the latest neuroscientific insights, Dr. Oakley shepherds us past simplistic ideas of “aptitude” and “ability,” which provide only a snapshot of who we are now—with little consideration about how we can change.

Even seemingly “bad” traits, such as a poor memory, come with hidden advantages—like increased creativity. Profiling people from around the world who have overcome learning limitations of all kinds, Dr. Oakley shows us how we can turn perceived weaknesses, such as impostor syndrome and advancing age, into strengths. People may feel like they’re at a disadvantage if they pursue a new field later in life; yet those who change careers can be fertile cross-pollinators: They bring valuable insights from one discipline to another. Dr. Oakley teaches us strategies for learning that are backed by neuroscience so that we can realize the joy and benefits of a learning lifestyle. Mindshift takes us deep inside the world of how people change and grow. Our biggest stumbling blocks can be our own preconceptions, but with the right mental insights, we can tap into hidden potential and create new opportunities.

Amazon.com: Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential eBook: Barbara Oakley: Kindle Store
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    My reading list for a free, online "Mindshift" course from a university in Ontario through Coursera.
    That’s a looonnnggg list.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I'm glad the course is self-paced.

And some of the books on the list have video or other online counterparts that I can use instead, e.g.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give Daniel a couple weeks or months if he’s busy and he’ll probably be posting he’s read it all

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789