24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lengthy aromatherapy may pose risks to heart

Lengthy aromatherapy may pose risks to heart
    CBC News
    Nov 30, 2012

Spa workers and chemists discuss the benefits and dangers of aromatherapy

Aromatic essential oils used in spas and homes to provide a sense of relaxation and well-being may have a downside when people are exposed for more than an hour, a new study suggests.

Researchers in Taiwan found 100 healthy spa workers exposed to the vapor of bergamot oil for up to one hour showed reduced blood pressure and heart rate. But after an hour, blood pressure and heart rate went up.

"Prolonged exposure for longer than one hour to essential oils may be harmful to cardiovascular health among spa workers," the study's authors concluded in the European Journal of Preventative Cardiology."

CBC's Kim Brunhuber talks to spa workers and a chemist about the benefits and dangers of aromatherapy.

Video: Play Video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lengthy aromatherapy may pose risks to heart

Interesting. I have had a recent foray into aromatherapy. I'd never given it a great deal of thought until a couple of months ago when my best friend's partner was trying to help her de-stress and bought her shelf full of essential oils. I had no expectations about it actually doing anything much, but it was actually really grounding. I went out and bought some for myself! I'll have to remember not to overdo it
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." - Carl Jung