Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    It kind of reminds me of when we're kids and think "if I can't see them they can't see me". I used to say you could tell my mood by how I did my hair - if it was long and hanging in my face I was trying to hide from the world and if I couldn't see it it couldnt' see me. I think we are on the same concept here. I think it is a coping mechanism for whatever we are trying to avoid, but as has been said I wouldn't worry about it creating a disorder of sorts or otherwise.
    Yeah there's definitely something I'm trying to hide from. I used to hide behind my own hair too. I used to have it down to my waist but cut it off due to some surgeries. I've been letting it grow back out but that process is slow.

This one will be interesting to discuss with the new therapist lol. I brought it up with my family and they're like yeeeeeeeeah, that's weird lol. Which I figured it probably wasn't a common thought. This was one I've been scared to bring up because it does seem so different.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Trying to Understand Dissociation

One thing i learn is that your therapist will not judge you hun about anything you bring up He or she will be happy you did so clarification can happen over any matter
    It is not so weird as you now see many of us have thoughts in that direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot View Post
    One thing i learn is that your therapist will not judge you hun about anything you bring up He or she will be happy you did so clarification can happen over any matter
    It is not so weird as you now see many of us have thoughts in that direction.
    I'm kinda nervous about seeing a therapist since I've been reading that so many therapists don't want to have anything to do with people who have borderline personality disorder. I go see the psychiatrist for meds tomorrow and it's none too soon. I feel like I'm losing it today.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are many therapist that do not have the skills to help people diagnosed with Borderline personality disorders hun Please call around ok find a therapist that specializes in your disorder ok hugs DBT therapy has been known to help so find a therapist specializes in that h ugs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Melissa,

When I got my diagnosis and was looking for a therapist there were a few things I did and didn't do that I found helped and may or may not work for you.

The first thing is to look for someone who specializes or has experience in working with borderline. The psychiatrist may be able to give you some recommendations, especially since you are likely not his or her first patient with that diagnosis.

I also looked for someone with advanced training and education. In my province a Masters degree is sufficient for licensure as a psychologist and it was those that I found less willing to work with me. I actually see someone now out of province who has a PhD and knows my full history.

Finally, don't feel like you have to go running in on week one waving a red flag that screams "I've been diagnosed with borderline". Focus on the symptoms - tell them you're there for depression, anxiety, self-injuring, or whatever it is you're experiencing. Yes, borderline has a stigma attached to it like we're vicious pitbulls or something but I found if I focused less on the label and more in what I was experiencing I was more likely to get help.

I hope some of that alleviates some of your fears. There is help out there so don't fret - it's on the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot View Post
    There are many therapist that do not have the skills to help people diagnosed with Borderline personality disorders hun Please call around ok find a therapist that specializes in your disorder ok hugs DBT therapy has been known to help so find a therapist specializes in that h ugs
    Yeah, I've made 2 therapists cry before and had another that became so overwhelmed by one of my days where I was hysterical that she stopped having the group meetings and told me I needed to get more professional help *sigh*

I'm forced to go through the local mental health place here because I'm on medicaid but they said they offered DBT therapy I think. Kinda sucks cuz the nature of our illness makes us think people don't like us and then read that therapists have a tendency to pre-judge us. Sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Hi Melissa,

When I got my diagnosis and was looking for a therapist there were a few things I did and didn't do that I found helped and may or may not work for you.

The first thing is to look for someone who specializes or has experience in working with borderline. The psychiatrist may be able to give you some recommendations, especially since you are likely not his or her first patient with that diagnosis.

I also looked for someone with advanced training and education. In my province a Masters degree is sufficient for licensure as a psychologist and it was those that I found less willing to work with me. I actually see someone now out of province who has a PhD and knows my full history.

Finally, don't feel like you have to go running in on week one waving a red flag that screams "I've been diagnosed with borderline". Focus on the symptoms - tell them you're there for depression, anxiety, self-injuring, or whatever it is you're experiencing. Yes, borderline has a stigma attached to it like we're vicious pitbulls or something but I found if I focused less on the label and more in what I was experiencing I was more likely to get help.

I hope some of that alleviates some of your fears. There is help out there so don't fret - it's on the way!
    I'm kinda at the mercy of the system unfortunately since I'm on medicaid. I'm going to the place that is run by the state. So I would think they would have to offer the help for this particular problem but I am def. Concerned about the pre-conceived ideas for sure. I feel like I gotta go in there and apologize from the get-go for being something they dread working with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't feel you have to apologize for anything. You deserve the help you need to get better and they entered that profession because they want to help. It may take a couple tries to find the right person or the right fit but it will happen.

And if you can't find someone who does DBT at least start with CBT. I've never done DBT but I found CBT immensely helpful.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The preconceived notions about Borderline is changing hun as professionals are becoming more educated themselves they is less judgement out there Try not to get all caught up with the label ok It is not who YOU are hun it is just a name that helps the professionals get you the care you need. I like what Turtle said focus on the symptoms and let the therapist know what help you need for them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks y'all today has been especially rough. I'm nervous about seeing the doc tomorrow but I'm excited that maybe I can get some meds to help me.

Maybe he will explain more about the process too as far as what the next steps are and maybe that will help relieve my mind too. *fingers crossed*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast