Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  19

Social Security Disability: Ticket to Work

Social Security Disability: Ticket to Work
    by Bipolar Beat
    January 24, 2013

The Social Security Administrationís Ticket to Work program enables those who receive disability benefits to try to transition back into the workplace without the risk or fear of losing their benefits. Ticket to Work offers the following:

• Support: An employment network (EN) that contracts with the Social Security Administration offers career counseling, job placement, and ongoing support services.
    • Nine-month trial work period (TWP): The TWP allows you to test your ability to work for at least nine months. During your TWP, you will receive full SSDI benefits no matter how much you earn as long as your work activity is reported and you have a disabling impairment.
    • Expedited Reinstatement (EXR) of benefits: If your benefits stopped because of your earnings level, you can request to have your benefits reinstated without having to complete a new application. While Social Security determines your benefits reinstatement, you are eligible to receive temporary benefits for up to six months.
    • Protection from Medical Continuing Disability Reviews (CDR): You will not have to undergo a medical continuing disability review (CDR) while participating in the Ticket to Work program.

For additional details, including information on how to sign up for a free Webinar on how the program works, visit Ticket to Work.

Re: Social Security Disability: Ticket to Work

Related brochure from Social Security:

Working While Disabled—How We Can Help (2015)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Working at Home in the Ticket to Work Program -- Disability.gov Blog

---------- Post Merged at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:18 PM ----------

FYI, today I called My Employment Options, the Ticket-to-Work company mentioned in the blog post, and they seem very organized. They say there will be more online jobs around mid March or so when companies do more hiring.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Employment Network Directory for Ticket to Work

A few of the employment networks, such as AAATakeCharge, share a large percentage of the financial incentives that the Social Security Administration provides to the employment network.

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:50 PM ----------

A positive "review" of AAATakeCharge from a congressional hearing in 2011:

AAATakeCharge Shared Payment Model

One interesting approach is that offered by AAATakeCharge. Over 25% of beneficiaries assigning their Tickets have selected the AAATakeCharge Employment Network (EN) model. AAATakeCharge gives the beneficiary 75% of the Ticket payments with the requirement that the funds must be spent on goods and services that will help them remain in the workforce or advance in their career.

Many people attempting work after years of unemployment have very limited resources. If their car breaks down, if their mother becomes sick and can’t take care of their kids, if they can’t pay their cell phone bill and their employer can’t reach them, they lose their job. AAATakeCharge provides work support payments only if clients reach certain earning milestones or go off benefits all together. Clients use the money for transportation, business clothing, technology, education/training, health costs, disability related expenses or any unexpected emergency that would interfere with their being able to work.

The appeal of this cash and counseling model is that the support is very flexible. And the client makes the decisions as to how the funds should be spent. According to MJ Willard, AAATakeCharge Director, AAATakeCharge client’s go off benefits at more than twice the rate of any other EN in the country.

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/Upload...TWWIIATest.pdf
    Personally, I signed up with them today. They do not directly provide "hands on" assistance like other employment networks (ENs). But in theory they may pay me over $11,000 over four years or so (compared to nothing at all at the other ENs). So, for now, I will just pay for resume services on my own (only $15 on eBay) and be compensated for it later.
    Last edited by Daniel; February 26th, 2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: corrected payment amount

Upcoming and archived webinars.

The next one is tomorrow (2/24/16) and is on getting hired by federal contractors:

Section 503 is a regulation that prohibits federal contractors and subcontractors from discriminating against people with disabilities and requires these employers to take action to recruit, hire, promote, and retain more people with disabilities. The presentation will include information on:

• What Section 503 changes mean for Social Security disability beneficiaries;
    • Tips for self-identification during the application and hiring process; and
    • Tips on how demonstrate your skills and abilities at a virtual job fair.

---------- Post Merged at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Basically what I got in the mail yesterday after signing up for the TTW program:

Timely Progress Requirements for Ticket Users
    Last edited by Daniel; February 23rd, 2016 at 08:06 PM.

I am very excited. Thanks to my new "security blanket" of the TTW program and after working a few years now as a part-time caregiver, I have become less anxious about full-time employment. So, for the first time in over 12 years, I have accepted a full-time job.

For the first nine months (during the trial work period), I will be getting my regular SSDI check, a bonus from my TTW program ($200/mo on average from AAATakeCharge), and every dime of my pay checks. After that, I still get the $200/month bonus for several years, which can help pay for any work-promoting expenses such as auto expenses (gas, repairs), cell phone bills, clothes for work, any therapy or medication co-payments, career-related books and education, etc.

That's excellent, Daniel. Congratulations!

Congratulations, Daniel! Remember to take care of yourself too!

UPDATE: Social Security has been good to me so far. I am working over 70 hours a week (as a caregiver), and they are keeping me in the trial work period as promised for a total of 9 months.

This Ticket-to-Work program has been a dream come true. I have been working for the last year now full time (and overtime) and have not had any problems with Social Security.

And there was a happy surprise: an extra 3 months of SSDI payments in addition to the 9-month trial work period. They don't advertise that for some reason but did mention it in my last letter from them. My guess is they do that to help prevent disputes and to help people adjust.

Even though I am now passed the trial work period, I will still get $200 a month for 3 years or so from the Ticket to Work program I signed up with (AAATakeCharge). And my Social Security would resume automatically if I stopped working.