Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Social Security Disability: Ticket to Work

The vocational rehab company, AAATakeCharge, is using a new policy with Social Security that makes it much easier to get reimbursement for work-related expenses. You can get your therapist/doctor/nurse or any other licensed health professional to vouch that you need to use your personal vehicle to get to work, such as if public transportation is an issue. You get reimbursed 53 cents per mile (up to the maximum amount you have been approved to receive in incentives for continuing to work).

They estimate 90% of the clients will qualify for using their personal vehicle as an "impairment related work expense." This way, you get approved automatically in the future for reimbursement without having to submit gas receipts, etc., as long as you continue to work.

In my case, it is easy since there is no public transportation in my rural area.
    "Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My notes about a separate but related issue in the US:

WIOA provides 100% financial aid for vocational job training (such as CNA school, beauty school, massage therapy licensure training, community college vocational training, etc), especially for those who are receiving unemployment, SSI, EBT, or who are otherwise low income.

Those with disabilities (mental or physical) do not need to have their household income factored in except for their own income.

Veterans who are low income are given the most priority, followed by others who are low income.

Those who have income more than 200 percent of the poverty line can also receive such training if funds are available.

More info:

5 Things You Should Know about WIOA - ED.gov Blog

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More about WIOA in the US:

I just went to my local job development office for an orientation. They will pay up to $4,000 for vocational training. This will allow me to get a CNA license (about $1400 in training and certification) so I get paid more, even doing the same thing I was doing before.

You have to commit to working full time, which is not a problem for me. Otherwise, they said I could look into vocational rehabilitation from the state's Department of Economic Security since I have a mental disability.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone on SSI or SSDI may qualify for vocational rehabilitation:

Vocational rehabilitation - Workers with a Disability

State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies

There is a lot of overlap, e.g. the same CNA school I am interested in is a WIOA training provider and also a provider for the state for vocational rehabilitation for those with disabilities. Similar overlap seems to be true of Apprenticeship programs:

Apprenticeships | CareerOneStop

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social Security's Ticket to Work program through AAATakeCharge continues to be amazing.

Below is the current payout schedule, totaling up to $12,000 over a 4.5+ year period.

(These payments are in addition to the SSDI payments one continues to receive during trial work periods.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Persons with disabilities - Find your fit in the federal government - Go Government

As a result of Executive Order 13548, the federal government is actively increasing efforts to recruit and hire individuals with disabilities for all levels and occupations. As an individual with a disability, you have access to specific programs and hiring authorities that can assist you in securing federal employment...

Proof of disability can be satisfied with a simple letter stating that you have a disability from your doctor, a licensed medical professional, a licensed rehabilitation professional, or any entity that issues or provides disability benefits. The letter does not need to detail your medical history, or your need for an accommodation...

Disclosure, or sharing information about your disability with others, by law, is a personal decision that individuals must make for themselves. An interviewer is prohibited from asking you questions about your disability that are not relevant to job responsibilities. An interviewer should ask questions about your qualifications and how you can perform the essential functions of the job. During a job interview, you should present yourself in a positive manner, emphasizing your abilities and assets. You are not required to talk about your disability during an interview...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My future Social Security for retirement has gone up over $500/month since working over 2 years ago. This is the same amount for SSDI.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social Security updates this amount each year at this time of year, based on earnings from the last year. In this case, 2017's earnings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12