Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EMDR Stories?

EMDR Stories?

I'm considering EMDR therapy and am very interested in hearing about any of your experiences with it. Thanks in advance.

EMDR Stories?

Healthbound,

Let me know if you end up trying it. I'd be interested in hearing about your experience. I'm still on the fence about it, but my position with my therapist at this point is a firm 'no'.
    ~ Allow yourself to be the light that the world so desperately needs. ~ Unknown

EMDR Stories?

Hey BG,

I'll definitely keep everyone posted if I do it. At this point, I would welcome the opportunity to try it, however I'm not sure that I would be a good candidate for it. I need to do a bit more reading about what makes a good candidate and will talk to my therapist about it on Monday.

EMDR Stories?

Just thought I'd post update...

I didn't discuss the EMDR with my therapist today as I have been feeling confused and a bit disorganized today and didn't even remember until we ended our session.

However, I did talk about my panic attack in the anxiety management group (I'm pretty sure I wrote about it in another thread..but sorry, can't recall which one right now) and therefore we spent the time talking about my panic about not being able to visualize a "safe place". My therapist suggested I try doing a visualization surrounding myself with gold...gold lights. She's going to walk me through it next week. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, I'm assuming that being able to feel safe or being able to consciously choose to induce a feeling of safety might be the first step I'd need to make in order to become a good candidate for EMDR.

I'll keep you posted.

EMDR Stories?

Thanks for the update, Healthbound.

I'm seeing my therapist tonight and I think I'm going to talk to him some more about it. I sent him an email yesterday saying I want to "consider" it...so we'll see. I still think it's weird, but I might get desperate enough to try anything....

If I try it I'll let you know. He's said I'm a perfect candidate, but I don't know how much prep work is required. He initially said we'd do it before Christmas, but that was before I put the breaks on.
    ~ Allow yourself to be the light that the world so desperately needs. ~ Unknown

EMDR Stories?

Please let me know how that goes :)

EMDR Stories?

I have been using EMDR with a therapist that specializes in trauma. It has been a very good tool for me although it can be very unpleasant at times as any therapy can. It is very intense or at least my experiences have been. I am a believer in it but as with anything I am not sure it is for everyone. It sounds like you are going to make an educated decision which I think is wise. Remember, you can always discontinue should you find it not helpful. Good luck.

EMDR Stories?

And also that if your experience is too intense, the therapist is there to intervene and to assist you.

EMDR Stories?

Hey bipolar bear!

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I imagine it would definitely be unpleasant at times, but so is living with the PTSD :) It is a bit scary knowing that the traumas would be "brought up" again, but I like the idea of learning how to experience them differently. I can't seem to shake them and it is very disturbing.

Would you mind sharing a bit more about your experiences with the EMDR? Like, how many sessions have you done, what is the process, how long you think you will need to engage in this type of therapy?

If not, that's cool too. I'm just eager to hear about personal experiences with it.

Look forward to getting to know you through the posts :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast