Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

I WILL Get Better

I WILL Get Better
    by Therese Borchard
    June 3, 2013

I don’t know about you, but when I’m depressed, my self-talk goes something like this:

• ”This is uncomfortable … I wish I were dead.”
    • "I don’t know what to do about x, y, and z … I wish I were dead.”
    • "I can’t escape this sadness … I wish I were dead.”
    • "How can I get rid of this awful anxiety? … I wish I were dead.”

Do you recognize the common denominator? The only resolution I see is to give up and die … either actively (when I’m extremely depressed and suicidal) or passively on other days. I don’t have the energy or the confidence to problem-solve. Which is why I have to be proactive with regard to my self-talk when I’m feeling very depressed and anxious. If not, my thoughts will follow the path of least resistance–and fantasize about death. I have to make a conscious effort to turn them around. And I have to repeat over and over and over again this sentence: “I WILL get better.”

Re: I WILL Get Better

Sometimes I just say in my head or out loud (LOL) NO! to myself to help myself stop thinking the way I'm thinking. I tell myself to be firm, but gentle with myself. If no one else is going to treat me well at least I should.

This is a good post. My self-talk is ALL about how it would be so much easier to just be dead . It's hard work to stay alive and and fight these battles day in and day out.
    ~ Allow yourself to be the light that the world so desperately needs. ~ Unknown

I agree... It really is hard work to live, and that's just for anyone.... but with ongoing big battles also? Phew. :S