Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is this really more OCD?

I went on a business trip in November and forgot to take it with me and I didn't notice a big difference off of it during that week I was a way so I stayed off of it. I felt like I was doing ok the last month, but I'm feeling very emotional the last couple of weeks and I have noticed an increase in checking behaviour and compulsive behaviors. Is that a sign I shouldn't have stopped taking the medication.
    In my opinion, yes.

For one thing, I always tell my clients (being treated for depression) that by the 6 month mark you will probably feel better and start to think about going off the medication. Don't. At that point, you are feeling better but you have not yet been on the medication long enough to maintain the gains you've made. If you are going to start taking an SSRI or SNRI, plan to be on it for a minimum of 1 to 1.5 years at least. Some people will need longer.

In addition, having treated people with OCD for many years, in my opinion, for the vast majority of OCD patients discontinuing medication is simply NOT an option. At times of low stress and minimal change (i.e., higher certainty, predictability, and safety), you may be able to reduce the dose to a minimal maintenance dose but whenever your general levels of stress or anxiety increase you will find that your OCD symptoms will worsen and you will need to increase the dose again for a time.

The bottom line is if you have OCD you are probably best advised to remain on at least a low dose of the medication for life. Some find that depressing but it shouldn't be viewed that way. I have some physical health conditions for which I take 4 medications a day. They improve the quality of my life and I am fully aware and I fully accept that I will need to continue taking these for the rest of my life. I think it's worth it.

Thanks, very much, I appreciate your opinion very much. i thought about it most of the day and I have decided at least for now, that i should be on the medication. after all, quality of life is important as you pointed out to me. Best wishes for a happy new year.

It was interesting to go back and read my old post I'm glad we keep these on the forum, it's very helpful. I'm no longer on medication, I felt fine and stopped taking it, but lately my checking and obsessive thoughts are out of control. I went back to see my psychologist today as it's been well over a year for me, and she had strong opinions about me restarting medication and said the sooner the better. She gave me a strict schedule and plan about how many times I am allowed to check things a day, it feels overwhelming to try to adhere to this, but I've done it before and I can do it again she says...so, I set my timer for five minutes and checked away and when the timer went off It was a little disappointing but in the morning I get another five minutes.....sad I'm back to this but I thinks can improve things if I am smart about it.

We're behind you, Adaptive1.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12