Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychiatrists

Psychiatrists

If you're working w/ a psychiatrist is s/he inevitably going to put you on some kind of medication just b/c they're a psychiatrist (assuming that meds have been shown to help w/ the problem)? Can you ever really tell a psychatrist that you don't want to take meds if they would prefer you do? Besides from a psychiatrist being able to prescribe medication (and maybe insurance reasons) is there any other benefit why they would be more suitable as opposed to a psychologist?

Psychiatrists

There are good, better, and bad psychiatrists just as with any other profession, Eunoia. Some are very good therapists who respect and listen to their patients. Some do little except prescribe medication and get annoyed if you question their descisions.

There are also, of course, good, better, ad bad psychologists.

I would say that in general psychiatrists tend to be more medication oriented while psychologists tend to be more eclectic or holistic.

Psychiatrists

My psychiatrist draws more heavily on psychodynamic psychotherapy than his prescription pad :) I know he may be the exception rather than the rule though. Therapy is a contract that should be based on mutuality. Any psychiatrist worth their salt will listen to your views and your needs for your own body and mental health and take them into consideration. I'll actually be the one suggesting tonight that I go onto some sort of medication. Psychotherapy has been effective for me, but with suicidal thoughts starting to creep back into the mix, it could be time to look at the brain chemistry factor.

As to whether psychiatrists are better than psychologists, I think David made a very astute observation on that point. Personally, I went with a psychiatrist because their fees attract a Medicare rebate here in Australia, while psychologists do not. Plus, I don't believe our minds operate in isolation from our brain/body, so I like that he has the gestalt...the whole picture on my health.

Psychiatrists

I don't believe our minds operate in isolation from our brain/body, so I like that he has the gestalt...the whole picture on my health.
    I think you'll find that many psychologists also take a holistic approach to health - physical and mental health are almost always linked.

Psychiatrists

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    physical and mental health are almost always linked.
    Agreed! That's why I'm choosing a PhD in Clinical Neuropsychology...it's about as much of the 'physical' as you can get that's relevant to psychological functioning without studying Medicine. I've just never had a psychologist check my blood pressure during highly stressful periods, whereas my psychiatrist does. It's convenient not having to go see a separate health provider for those physical symptoms that are directly linked to the psychological issues.

Psychiatrists

I check my own blood pressure :o)

Psychiatrists

just as a side note my clinical prof complains a lot that no clinical textbook has ever written about or included a chapter on physiology, even though physiological measurements can be and are of great value to the "cinical picture" as a whole. But I guess not every therapist agrees w/ this or if they do, choose not to make it a part of their focus (as they lack the background, it's not relevant to the problem etc.)...

why are psychiatrists covered by insurance plans, and not psychologists? just b/c they can prescribe medication? psychologists have to be trained as well and have a PhD so I don't understand why this distinction is even made though in terms of who it is "okay" to see and who it's not....

Psychiatrists

no clinical textbook has ever written about or included a chapter on physiology
    Perhaps this is true for textbooks written for academic courses on "Clinical Psychology" or "Applied Psychology". I don't think it's true for books written for practitioners.

For example, I have a book (written in a kind of boring style but nonetheless relevant) called "Biologically Informed Treatment of Depression".

why are psychiatrists covered by insurance plans, and not psychologists?
    That's largely (1) historical, since psychiatrists are MDs and therefore underthe medical umbrella, and (2) political, since physicians tend to have more powerful lobbyist influences than other mental health professionals.

Psychiatrists

yes, sorry I wasn't very specific- he was talking about Clinical textbooks for university level classes...

then, is there ever any way to use that $ that the insurance is willing to pay to see someone else for therapy? or would you only be able to do this if one's insurance or employment ins. covers some kind of fee for therapy by any mental health practitioner?

Psychiatrists

Generally speaking, yes. Unless you see a non-physician therapist in a hospital program, national health insurance will not fund it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast