Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: My daughter has withdrawn herself from school because bullying and harassment

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    I might be mistaken or confusing you with someone else but I was under the impression that you thought your ex-wife had engaged in various behaviors that to some extent negatively affected your relationship with your daughter. Was that not you?
    She has tried to affect my relationship with my children, but to my knowledge my feelings towards my ex-wife have not adversely affected my relationship with my daughter. I am careful not speak negatively about her mother in her presence.

What I do is work on my relationship with my children with my children. I rarely, if ever, communicate to my children through my wife. She tries to interject herself between us, but I just pick up the phone and call them.

---------- Post Merged at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:00 PM ----------

My original comment was based on two factors or assumptions:

1. that I don't think homeschooling is necessarily a bad option for someone who is being bullied or harrassed at school because the reality is that despite the best efforts of school staff and parents bullying is very difficult to stop once it has begun; and
    I don't think homeschooling is a bad thing if the problem really is bullying and harassment at school. I just wasn't sure.

2. that I thought Darkside had indicated that his ex-wife's influence was eroding his relationship with his daughter, and was worried that he might be opposing homeschooling in part because his ex-wife seemed to be supporting it.
    Okay, I see what you mean. The first time I spoke to her she was conflicted about what to do. And you are correct, I did oppose it; but not because my ex-wife was in favor of it. I opposed it because I didn't know what was going on and my daughter was so upset she couldn't tell me. All I knew at the time was that she didn't want to go back to school because of bullying and harassment on Monday which I thought was an over-reaction. This same thing happened this time last year and in a few weeks it died down and she finished the fall semester and the spring semester and never once complained. I thought this might blow over again and taking her out of school was an over-reaction.

But bullying and harassment between high school girls in 2014 is far different than what it was in 1972. That's why I posted this ... to see what people thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: My daughter has withdrawn herself from school because bullying and harassment

I really support home schooling too. I know of a lot of children that have been homeschooled and it was worked to their benefit. After all it is only a year. I was made fun of in high school, but not like what your daughter went through. I still recall the things said to me, perhaps not all, but the worse. I am shocked that the teachers are not doing anything to stop this behavior. Perhaps once your daughter is out of school and has moved away, she will be around people who are more grown up, as in, have gotten over the need to bully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heatherly View Post
    I really support home schooling too. I know of a lot of children that have been homeschooled and it was worked to their benefit. After all it is only a year. I was made fun of in high school, but not like what your daughter went through. I still recall the things said to me, perhaps not all, but the worse. I am shocked that the teachers are not doing anything to stop this behavior. Perhaps once your daughter is out of school and has moved away, she will be around people who are more grown up, as in, have gotten over the need to bully.
    I'm not certain, but I suspect that there is very little of this in college. I wish there was an answer to why it happens so much in the 10th-12th grade. Boys don't do it as much as girls. (At least my boys didn't complain about it that much.)

Is it lack of discipline at school, absent and uncaring parents, societal pressure to compete ... ??

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's adolescence. Everyone is trying to fit in and everyone feels insecure. They make themselves feel better by forming into groups which make fun of others not in the group to feel better about themselves.

Google social comparison theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's adolescence. Everyone is trying to fit in and everyone feels insecure. They make themselves feel better by forming into groups which make fun of others not in the group to feel better about themselves.

Google social comparison theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I was that age we formed groups but we didn't ridicule or harass the people who were not in the group. We stuck together and excluded others we didn't think belonged, but we never openly made fun of them like the kids do now. She told me that she was called on in class to answer a question and that when she started answering the question several students openly mocked her in the class. Even the teacher laughed which totally humiliated her.

That's what I don't get. Teachers joining in the mocking and teasing in the classroom instead of correcting the offending student.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Principal should be made aware of the teachers action and teacher should be confronted about it with your daughter present
    Words always stay inside ones soul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darkside,

I went to school in the 50s, and kids mocked other kids in front of the teacher. Don't recall the teacher saying anything either. I just quit a group at church that was supposed to be open-minded, and yet the atheists mock the believers there, and if anyone says anything that anything thinks is stupid, they do the same. These are old adults who never grew up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heatherly View Post
    Darkside,

I went to school in the 50s, and kids mocked other kids in front of the teacher. Don't recall the teacher saying anything either. I just quit a group at church that was supposed to be open-minded, and yet the atheists mock the believers there, and if anyone says anything that anything thinks is stupid, they do the same. These are old adults who never grew up.
    Atheists in your church group?

Hard to believe that adults would do that, but I suppose it makes them feel better about themselves somehow.

---------- Post Merged at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by forgetmenot View Post
    Principal should be made aware of the teachers action and teacher should be confronted about it with your daughter present
    I can't be sure (because I don't believe much of what my ex-wife says) but I was told that the Principal knows that a teacher made fun of my daughter but did nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what this means, but just like last year this has now blown over and my daughter has gone back to her school. She stayed on homebound for about 10 days. But she has missed so much class it has affected her grades and possibly her ability to get into the college she really wants to attend. I really hurt for her and I don't think the school has done much to help.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here the college has courses that a person can take to upgrade themselves so they can get into any college they wish Perhaps you daughter can take these courses first at the college she chooses then move on to her chose of career Get her to look into that ok
    Words always stay inside ones soul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast