Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antidepressants Work and Don't Boost Suicide Risk

yay- maybe I'm not as wacky as i thought!!

riiiiiight.

What's the highest dose?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what "highest dose" means - actually, it reminds me of that Seinfeld routine where he talks about "extra strength" and "maximum strength" and says "give me the absolute maximum strength - figure out how much would kill me and then back it off just a notch"...

The limiter for these medications is often side effects - the higher the dose, the more likely it is that unpleasant or undesirable side effects will emerge. In the case of Effexor, that would likely be either sexual dysfunction or insomnia or excessive sleepiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha!!! hilarious!

In the case of Effexor, that would likely be either sexual dysfunction or insomnia or excessive sleepiness.
    yaaaa...I got all those. I can't get to sleep and then when I do - I don't wake up for a MINIMUM of 10 hours later. I can sleep anywhere from 10 - 14 hrs no problem.

Regardless I'm not ready to take my dose down just yet.

..."give me the absolute maximum strength - figure out how much would kill me and then back it off just a notch"...
    I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take 75mg per day. I take the XR- extended release. So, maybe I should talk to my Dr. about increasing the dose...hmm. Think I will. I've really been stressing alot lately. I knew it was a low dose, I just didn't know HOW low. I just don't want to be over medicated. But it looks like I could be at the bottom of the bell curve with this low of a dose! If I keep feeling like this, I may be UNDER the bell curve..ha-ha-ha. Anyway, thanks guys. Just wanted to get some input on this. Please look for a "letter" I want to write to a family member soon. Want to pass it thru you guys to see what you think. I may post it tonight or tomorrow night. Thx-Poohbear

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually when people go on Effexor, they start at 37.5 mg per day and increase to 75 after about 5 days. If the medication is prescribed for anxiety rather than depression, it may remain there but I would say that a minimum therapeuticdose for most people would be 150 mg at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Antidepressants Work and Don't Boost Suicide Risk

i did the bad nurse thing and medicated myself-- started taking 150 before i had my appt. to see if it was gonna help b/4 asking for an increase and prescription. it did work. i am more sleepy, but i am able to not stress as much. i'll put up with the sleepiness as opposed to being ready to jump on the "next person that asks me to get vital signs on that patient!"!!! Sometimes with work and school, i worried that my patients would suffer my moodiness! it's helped, and i did get the dosage changed with a new script. thanks!--poohbear

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Antidepressants Work and Don't Boost Suicide Risk

Well, you know already that being your own doctor is often/usually a bad idea, poohbear. Please at least ensure that you get the soonest possible appointment with your doctor or at the very least make a phone call to him/her to verify that there are no medical contrainidications in your case to being on the higher dose.

I'm not trying to be alarmist - it's probably fine - but do remember that everyone has a unique biology and medical history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12