Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How can we make this forum better or more relevant for YOU?

Regardless of your general blog settings, you can also somewhat restrict a specific new blog entry at the time you compose it.

Below the blog entry box on a new post are several options, among them this:

blog-restrictions.jpg

Restrict entry viewing to Contacts and Blog Moderators
    The Restrict entry viewing to Contacts and Blog Moderators option will restrict the viewing of an entry to just those members on your contact list and to Blog moderators. This allows you to leave your blog open to all members but still have the ability to restrict viewing on an entry to entry basis.

I just created a test post where I checked off that option; see Testing permissions - Blogs.

Now I have no idea who is on my personal contact list and who is not but let me know if you can read that.

Added:

To check your contact list,click on Settings at the top right side of any forum page.

Scroll down to Networking. Click on Friends & Contacts under that.

This will take you to a page titled "Friends and Contacts", listed in alphabetical order.

Each of the members on your list is shown in a frame with two check boxes:

friends-and-contacts.png

If both boxes are checked, that person is both a friend and a contact.

If only the left box (top left of the avatar) is checked, that person is a contact but not a friend.

If only the lower right box is checked, that person is a friend but not a contact, a category which may or may not actually exist. I didn't see any like that in my list.

I will come back later,read your posts again and then try out the blogs/settings.Right now I feel overloaded with info and can't absorb what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Harebells View Post
    I wonder if it would help if people had to sign in to use the forum at all. Maybe people would post more if they felt it wouldn't be so public and they had more idea of who was viewing it. Also they would have to sign in to see anything themselves.
    I have moved two more forums that are of a more personal nature into the Private / Members Only section of the forum.

I would strongly recommend that if you are posting personal details, or even wishing another member Happy Birthday, you use those sections.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    You can make any or all of your blog posts private, in which case only you can see them (the exceptions may be administrators - I'm not certain whether setting your blog posts to private prevents admins from seeing them like PMs or not - we could set up an experiment to check that) but I can assure you that after parenting three sons as teens I'm not offended by profanity.

To change privacy settings on your personal blog, existing or future, go to Blog Settings and you'll find a long list of options for what other people can and cannot see.

Blog Settings also appears in the top menu bar once you're in the Blogs section.

If you're interested in testing the admin issue, change your privacy settings generally or create a new post and change the privacy settings for that post and then PM me to go check it.
    Thanks for taking the time to give all the blog info.I don't need to test the admin issue,my main concern,I guess,was just wanting to express myself without receiving an infraction for it,like if I should happen to make an entry that would equal the profanity of all three of those sons you parented combined.I understand the different privacy settings now and like that I can change them as I post.I have done alot of deleting in the past because I wasn't exactly sure what was acceptable or who could see them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    I have moved two more forums that are of a more personal nature into the Private / Members Only section of the forum
    I really like that you did that.Thank you!

Have you ever thought about allowing guests to post without having to register?Like just a guest forum or section where they could ask questions or advice?I always notice there's quite a few guests(I just looked and it's showing 161 guests right now)and I just thought maybe some of them might actually post instead of just reading,if they could do it without having to register first.

Are a majority of those visitors human?

Quote Originally Posted by LIT View Post
    Have you ever thought about allowing guests to post without having to register?Like just a guest forum or section where they could ask questions or advice?I always notice there's quite a few guests(I just looked and it's showing 161 guests right now)and I just thought maybe some of them might actually post instead of just reading,if they could do it without having to register first.
    That would require a lot of moderation and basically there would be no pre-screening for known spammers. In effect, guest posting just allows a forum to fill up with spam and offensive posts that need to be removed frequently but even then members and other visitors may well have seen and been triggered by a post before it's removed.

It's not a good idea for most forums. For a forum like this one, I think it would be a disaster.

What some forums do is the opposite: Allow guests to view only the first post in a thread but if they want to view the replies they have to register. I'm not sure that's a good solution either. That may get you a lot of members who never post and it's annoying for those trying to find answers to an immediate question they have.

Quote Originally Posted by LIT View Post
    Are a majority of those visitors human?
    There may be spiders/bots in there but I think a lot of them probably are humans looking for information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12