Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 10 Printer No Longer Work(ed)s

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Have you looked at power settings to ensure your system is not turning off the processor prematurely? I keep my power settings to "never" turn off the processor, because I have automated activities going on; but I noticed a recent Windows 10 update reset my power settings to what MS thinks my computer should have.

There is also a power setting in the configuration settings under properties of the WiFi adapter, under "Power Management" that allows the computer to turn off the WiFi device to save power.

I'm wondering if your system may be turning off the processor or ethernet connection during the lengthy download, thereby aborting the update.
    I have my power settings on "Never" as well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryQ View Post
    By the way, Error code 0x80070005 is also known as "ACCESS DENIED." It usually occurs when you lack a file or a registry permissions that are required to install the update
    Yes, I ran the Microsoft fix (actually two of them) for permissions and checked for missing files. The error can also occur if there's a problem with a 3rd party driver but I've run the updates for those as well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally, Windows Fall Creators Update installed successfully. And it only took a month or so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    Finally, Windows Fall Creators Update installed successfully. And it only took a month or so!
    Did you have to do anything specific or did it just require persistence?

I had difficulty with the update on one of my systems with two successive apparent failures to install. After running the Windows Update Troubleshooter and several reboots, it finally installed.

Maybe there's a problem with the update protocol...Oh wait...Microsoft can't make mistakes..

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Did you have to do anything specific or did it just require persistence?
    It's difficult to be sure what was necessary and what wasn't but I used several tools from Microsoft to "fix" Windows Update, to fix system file permissions, etc.; updated all the drivers that I could find any updates for (they were basically all okay according to Windows but I was able to find a couple on the manufacturers' websites.

In the attempt that was successful, I used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create an update media installation on a USB stick. Before running it, I disabled Windows Defender (my only real time anti-malware program) and used Task Manager to disable all non-essential startup services.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Glad to hear you got it updated.

In the attempt that was successful, I used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create an update media installation on a USB stick. Before running it, I disabled Windows Defender (my only real time anti-malware program) and used Task Manager to disable all non-essential startup services.
    I thought you had already tried that without success.

For major version updates I use the media creation tool to create a USB upgrade stick so that I download it once and update all PCs. Then if something goes awfully wrong I always have a clean install stick handy. Not that anything could ever go wrong with Windows 10
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12