Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Sorting out my sleep pattern

Quote Originally Posted by GaryQ View Post
    Have you made any progress lately on getting more sleep?
    Nah unfortunately not this week. I haven't really been trying to be honest, and the roadworks have been closer/louder than normal which made it a bit more difficult to get to sleep.

I was going to take a mid-week morning sleep-in today but didn't want to tell my partner about it (online, we talk every morning before I go to work and when I get home from work) so had to get up at normal time anyway. Not sure what I thought I was going to achieve there, because the anxiety of telling my boss I'll be late or not going (even though I know he'll have no problem with it) is at least as unhelpful for going back to sleep as two cups of coffee.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This has been my worst week for sleep in a long while. Not sure what the actual hours have been because my fitness tracker isn't syncing at the moment, but average is probably <6. Super tired, it's 1am, need to have a shower, and be up at 5:30. There's more loud roadworks for added fun.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've struggled with insomnia (or more accurately sleeping at night) most of my life.

I seem to naturally migrate to being awake at night and wanting to sleep during the day.

I wish I could say I have a perfect solution, but I don't. However, one thing I have learned is that trying to determine when I go to sleep at night is pretty much hopeless. As a result, what I have learned to do is focus on what time I get up, including weekends. By setting and enforcing an alarm (with pre-alarm to get me out of a sound sleep and a post-alarm if I don't get out of bed immediately), regardless of what time I fall asleep, sooner or later I get tired enough to fall asleep at a reasonable time.

You might give that a try. If nothing else, it takes some of the frustration out of uninentionally staying awake too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    I seem to naturally migrate to being awake at night and wanting to sleep during the day.
    Does that have anything to do with Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder or Sleep Inversion?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My partially tongue-in-cheek explanation is that I was born in England and never got away from that time zone. Maybe there is some accuracy in that.

But I also spent time growing up in British Columbia, back in England for a while, and Ontario-Quebec, so maybe my brain just got fed up and invented its own time zone.

Whatever the reason, with no external restraints on my time, I will still migrate to nights, and that has always been true. When I was studying for my Ph.D. Comprehensive Exams, and later when writing my thesis, I quickly migrated to a schedule where I worked until about 3 AM and then slept until about noon, and I will still do that at times, e.g., when I'm ill.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    By setting and enforcing an alarm (with pre-alarm to get me out of a sound sleep and a post-alarm if I don't get out of bed immediately), regardless of what time I fall asleep, sooner or later I get tired enough to fall asleep at a reasonable time.
    You might give that a try. If nothing else, it takes some of the frustration out of uninentionally staying awake too late.
    I'm not sure that would really work for me. Weekends are the only days I don't do that at the moment, but my staying up at night isn't due to lack of tiredness at earlier hours of the night. If anything it's self-perpetuating - I feel tired so I just give into the procrastination that delays going to bed. But I guess it's a moot point since my schedule will be changing over the next couple of weeks.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Reviving this thread because I'm having ongoing sleep problems again.
    I have an auto shutdown on my computer (9:30pm), and find myself getting to bed at 9:50ish by the time I've had a shower.
    On weekdays first alarm at 5am.

For a few months now I've been waking up most nights around 2am-4am with anxiety and it usually takes about an hour to get back to sleep (if at all).

The last few weeks I've been hitting snooze until 6am, packing breakfast and eating it at work. One morning I even missed my normal bus - haven't done that in years.
    Then I stay in bed for ages on the weekend trying to make up for it (I still have the waking anxiety on weekends).

Just can't get my ass in gear and am feeling quite tired a lot of the time. Although not as bad as when I started the thread (not as many blink-confusion events).

I think it will help a bit once I can find a way to exercise more frequently. I'm still a bit hesitant to try the 10km cycle to work but have done a 7km without specific issues. Not sure if I should get a bike fit done before attempting it or just give it a go (I'd leave the bike at work for a few days then ride home later in the same week).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks. These kinds of issues are annoying because there are so many factors. If I'm going to take this seriously I'll need to do up a spreadsheet, decide which ones to start tackling and track progress. :/

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I had to work night shifts (trying to sleep during the day with anxiety and barking dogs), melatonin (up to 10 mg) helped me for a while.

If all else fails (exercise, progressive muscle relaxation, etc), there are, of course, sedating meds that can help with sleep such as trazodone.

Remeron (mirtazapine) is the sleeping beauty pill among antidepressants But I did not think of it at the time, and it can easily be too much of a good thing regarding sleep.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast