Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ativan

Ativan

Hi, I was wondering how long it takes Ativan to take take full effect. I need to take it for a specific situation (oral foreign language final ) and I wasn't sure if I should take it like 20 minutes before or a couple of hours or what? I don't want to take it too early and be tired. My prescription just said something like "take as needed" so I'm just not sure when to take it for the best result. Does anyone know?

Re: Ativan

Ativan comes in a "regular" format which you swallow with water like any other pill - take that 20 minutes to half an hour ahead of time - or in a fast-acting format - these are smaller and you dissolve the little tablets under your tongue... that format will start to work within 5 to 10 minutes tops.

Thank you Dr. Baxter!! You're the best. You always know what to do! That information significantly eases my mind-one less thing to worry about!!

You're welcome. One more thing, though: I would suggest that you "try out" the Ativan once or twice beforehand on days when you don't have anything critical to do. Sometimes, the initial dose can make you feel a bit sleepy or dozy. I think most people will adapt quickly even if that does happen but you don't want to discover this on the day of an important exam.

Ativan (lorazepam) is available in some Countries (Canada) in both oral tablet as well as sublingual form. The sublingual form contains the same dosage as the oral tablets but dissolves more quickly and is absorbed into the bloodstream more rapidly when held under the tongue.

In fact, oral tablets can be taken sublingually as well, the only difference is that some of the inactive binding ingredients may leave a small harmless residue under the tongue. In order for Ativan to be fully absorbed sublingually, the tablet should be held under the tongue for three minutes and there should be no swallowing of saliva during that time. This will ensure full absorption sublingually.

As Dr. Baxter stated, Ativan is absorbed into the bloodstream in about 20 to 30 minutes and crosses the blood brain barrier in about 45 minutes from initial administration. Peak effectiveness is reported to occur between the second and third hour and the compound is cleared from the system in about 8 hours.

As it is a relatively short acting member of the class of medications known as benzodiazepines, it can be taken for an acute situation, and is eliminated from the body 12 to 15 hours following injestion of the last dose.

It shouold be stated, that due to this relatively short biologic half life of 12 to 15 hours, anyone taking Ativan for a prolonged period of time, the therapeutic advantage is that the Ativan blood levels stabilize after three days (steady state) but if Ativan needs to be terminated following prolonged use, the physician's instructions need to be followed as the dose needs to be tapered gradually over a period of a week or two. Abruptly stopping to take Ativan following long term use can result in withdrawl symptoms.

As Dr. Baxter alludes to, try the use as needed dose being prescribed before the actual event, as different people react differently, especially if they have never taken this type of medication before. One would be advised not to drive a car or engage in a dangerous task, until the reaction to the medication is known.

Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Forum

Definitely give the Ativan a trial run, or two, hon. See how it works for you. Take it as Dr. Baxter suggested, when you have nothing important to do, and try taking a little online test, or something. See how you do. Benzos react differently for different people, and it's always good to know what to expect.

is this the same as klonopin wafers???? I'm on Klonopin wafers but maybe this stuff is cheaper?
    Rosa

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa
    is this the same as klonopin wafers???? I'm on Klonopin wafers but maybe this stuff is cheaper?
    Rosa
    While both Klonopin and Ativan are benzodiazepines, the two are different in their methods of action and Klonopin has a longer half-life than Ativan. They should not be used interchangeably.

Klonopin (clonazepam-Roche) is another among the benzodiazepine class of medications.

Clonazepam is used differently from most other benzodiazepines, as it is was originally indicated as an anti convulsant. In recent years it has found use in other conditions.

If your physician prescribed clonazepam, it is likely because of the condition to be treated, in the context of your medical history and other medication being used.

Has the desired theraputic effect been achieved?

Steve

Dum spiro spero....While I breathe, I hope

Tourette Canada Forum

Thanks for your replys I am very happy with the Klonopin and its effects. I guess I was just thinking this one sounded like what I was taking (ie, melts in your mouth-gee you could sell me M&M's for that matter) so I thought they might be about the same but maybe this one was cheaper.... I never said I was smart
    Thanks
    Rosa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast