Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthropophobia

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anthropophobia

BTW:

"Happiness and self-acceptance go hand in hand. In fact, your level of self-acceptance determines your level of happiness. The more self-acceptance you have, the more happiness you'll allow yourself to accept, receive and enjoy. In other words, you enjoy as much happiness as you believe you're worthy of [emphasis added]."

...In a sense, we all bear "conditional-love scars" from the past. We're all among the ranks of the "walking wounded."

The Path to Unconditional Self-Acceptance | Psychology Today

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To handle my relatively mild social anxiety in passing-in-the-hallway situations I've been trying to initiate a smile and saying "good morning" or "g'day how's it going?" to people at work even though I don't have a clue who they are. I had to practice it a bit especially with the eye contact but I've found that I feel a lot less awkward when I do that rather than us both trying to pretend we don't see each other. It's actually easier with guys because they do the whole head nod greeting which none of the women seem to do aside from me.

Edit: There are still times when it can be awkward when the other person doesn't respond. But that's fine by me cause at least I tried.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people have thought (or accused me) I was gay and I don't know if that plays into any of the social issues. I've always been sexua attracted to women and have only had girlfriends and female sexual partners but I guess my painfully shy introverted socially horrified personhood is why?

I don't know. I'm just a painfully awkward man.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess people would also kind of call me an "incel"??

I've always been painfully standoffish. With girls. Didn't have first girlfriend and sex until I was 24. The only way I could meet the two or three women I had relationships with was by using alcohol, and I can no longer do that as recovering alcoholic

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loneliness can be good motivator. Therapy was able to help me tap into it more. Years ago, I would rationalize my loneliness as just hereditary/resistant depression. And when I was in my 20s, I was not the kind to want pets (seeing them as another potential source of anxiety) but then one day a cat just walked into my house. So sometimes just a change in circumstances may help. (Like when my dad broke his hip and then later on my neighbor had a stoke. So those unforeseen circumstances helped me get out of my shell and become a caregiver, which required me to socialize more. Even with some depression and anxiety, I was still motivated out of empathy/guilt/boredom.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12