Likes Likes:  142
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Coping Tip of the Day

20 Signs You Are Too Self-Critical

If you analyze mistakes past the point of learning something valuable, then you're probably punishing yourself unnecessarily.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New research uncovers the psychological benefits of treating the weekend like a vacation
    November 25, 2020

A series of experiments found that simply following the prompt "treat this weekend like a vacation" led workers to a more enjoyable two days off and a happier return to work on Monday. The findings were published in Social Psychological and Personality Science...

In line with the researchers’ predictions, workers who had been told to treat the weekend like a vacation reported greater positive affect, less negative affect, and greater satisfaction when back at work on Monday, compared to those instructed to treat the weekend like they normally would. They also reported a greater focus on the present moment during their weekend — and this focus on the present partly explained their greater happiness on Monday...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A Science-Based Technique for Coping With Stress

In simple terms, the technique involves reflecting on your stressful experience from an outside perspective. This is accomplished by a change of pronouns. Instead of using the first person "I" in your internal monologue, you can use your name, the second-person generic "you," the third-person pronouns "he, she, they," or even a "fly on the wall" perspective. For example, let's assume I'm facing a problem, or reflecting on an emotionally stressful situation I've experienced. Instead of thinking, "How will I solve this problem?" or, "How am I feeling about what happened?" I may ask myself "How is Noam going to solve this problem?" or "How is Noam feeling about what happened?" or "How will you solve the problem?" or, "What's the 'fly on the wall' perspective on what happened?" etc.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

11 Ways to Treat the Death Thoughts That Come with Depression and Anxiety

Avoid unsupportive people. Until I feel stronger, I simply need to stay away from the folks in my life that believe that I'm only feeling badly because I want to feel badly. If that means skipping a family dinner, then I need to do that.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What to Do When You Can't Seem to Love Yourself

When you dip into a dark hole, focus not on why you are lacking self-esteem, but on your bounce-back rate.

How quickly can you go from feeling insecure, inadequate, and shameful to coming back to feeling enough?

Take count, not on how many times you fall down, but instead on how quickly you manage to come back. When you fall back into negative thoughts and patterns, use it as your signal to shift and to remind yourself that you are enough.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

“Nobody had ever said to me before, "You need to live a life that you can cope with, not the one that other people want. Start saying no. Just do one thing a day. No more than two social events in a week." I owe my life to him.”

― Katherine May, Wintering

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What are Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Skills?

Distress Tolerance: Making a Crisis Card

Take a 3x5 index card and fold the 5″ side in half. It should look like a little tent. Each of the things you include on this card should be as personal as possible.

Front

On the front of the card you should write three reasons why you want to tolerate the discomfort without using self-defeating behaviors like self-harm, abusing drugs or alcohol, or other impulsive self-defeating behaviors.

Top Inside Flap

On the top inside flap write down 5 things you can think and say to yourself to help you tolerate the distress.

Bottom Inside Flap

On the bottom inside flap write down 10 things that you can do to help you soothe yourself. These things should include things you can do when at home or out, during the day or night.

Back of the Card

On the back of the card you should write down at least 5 phone numbers of people in your support system that are empathetic and helpful to you when you are in crisis. Include the crisis hotline in your area.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Self-Care Is Not Self-Indulgent

Taking the time to listen to beautiful music, read an inspirational piece, taste delicious flavors, bring home a fragrant bunch of flowers to brighten up your space all speak to your soul, your inner self. This is not self-indulgent, it is a smart way to care for yourself using all the effective tools and resources available so that you can then function in the world and contribute back to others. You feel better about yourself, stand up straighter, regard yourself in a different light.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast