Likes Likes:  69
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Coping Tip of the Day

How to Disarm Internal Triggers of Distractions

...The "leaves on a stream" method. When feeling the uncomfortable internal trigger to do something you'd rather not, "imagine you are seated beside a gently flowing stream," he says. "Then imagine there are leaves floating down that stream. Place each thought in your mind on each leaf. It could be a memory, a word, a worry, an image. And let each of those leaves float down that stream, swirling away, as you sit and just watch."

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

De-Stress Yourself: Expert Tips for Coping With Financial Anxiety | The Motley Fool

...To let something that has a 1-2% chance of happening run your life, then it's probably not the healthiest way to go about it...

I'm an "awfulizer." I'm always afraid of the worst-case scenario. And my wife, who has experience as a cognitive behavioral therapist, has said to me that this is what you do. You ask yourself what the worst-case scenario is, and you think about it. And No. 1, how likely is that really to happen, and No. 2, would it be OK if it happened? Would you still survive? Would the important things still be there?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Navy SEALs Use These 4 Psychology Tricks to Succeed Under Extreme Pressure

I've found in high-stress situations it's more important than ever to omit tones of panic and catastrophizing and replace them with a more focused, "let's just do what needs to be done right now" dialogue.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to Make Difficult Conversations Easy? Try This 1 Counterintuitive Trick, According to Psychology

...For tough conversations I always pictured having to outline all the things I would say, all the counter arguments I could make, all the pointed statements to share.

Wrong approach.

Bernstein says it's far more important to listen, reflect, and observe. The more you listen, the more likely it is that they will.

And you get more of an opportunity to listen by asking fair questions rather than thinking of the next statement you're going to make. I applied this immediately to a tough conversation I had to have. I set aside all the statements and points I wanted to make, and focused on listening and asking questions in response. I found the other party was much more willing to listen right back. I'm 100 percent certain it led to a better outcome.

Bernstein also says it's important not to fall into a common trap where you're doing too much explaining. Explaining comes across as a veiled form of fighting back. It introduces unnecessary tension into the discussion. You're much better off asking questions. And as you listen to their answers, it's important to show empathy and try to truly understand, not judge. Ask yourself ,"Why are they saying this?"

Again, I applied this as well to the tough conversation I had to have. I'll admit it was really hard. I wanted to go into explaining mode on about five occasions but I resisted. When I really concentrated on asking myself why the other person was saying certain things, it was powerful. I could feel my "heat-meter" dropping...

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The introverts guide to making friends in Charlotte - Charlotte Agenda

The main thing holding back most people from making new friends is the fear of rejection. Somewhere in our heads we think the bar and the boardroom is just like the high school in the movie Mean Girls, where everyone is judging each other constantly and waiting for any opportunity to cut someone else down. But that's really not the case...

People want to be your friend.

People want to have a conversation with you and learn more about you. People want to laugh at your jokes. People want to be able to text you when they're bored. People want to get drinks with you after work.

So why aren't they doing it? Because they're afraid of rejection just like you are. You'll be shocked at how many people are extremely receptive of new conversations and social plans when they don't have to be the one who suggests.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged