Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Daily Baby Aspirin: More harm than good?

Statins and Inflammation: New Therapeutic Opportunities in Psychiatry
    March 5, 2019

Statins, which are widely used to treat hypercholesterolemia, have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects. These are thought to be responsible for the potential effects of statins on various psychiatric disorders. In this study, we comprehensively review the literature to investigate the effects of statins on various psychiatric disorders including depression, schizophrenia, and dementia. In addition, we review adverse effects and drug interactions of statins to give clinically useful information guiding statin use in the psychiatric field. Statins seem useful in reducing depression, particularly in patients with physical disorders such as cardiovascular disease. In patients with schizophrenia, negative symptoms may be reduced by adjuvant statin therapy. Studies on cohorts at risk for dementia have generally shown protective effects of statins, while those on treatment for dementia show inconsistent results. In conclusion, statins used in combination with conventional psychotropic medications may be effective for various psychiatric disorders including depression, schizophrenia, and dementia. Further study is required to determine optimal doses and duration of statin use for the treatment of psychiatric disorders.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Statins... work for some... others give them up because the side effects are intolerable like muscle pain and problems including muscle damage that can become irreversible... and others go through a living hell living with same side effects and continuing to take their cholesterol lowering medication because their doctor says they absolutely have to take them and don’t have the ability to contradict what their doctor says. As for me I’m in group 2 and my doctor and cardiologist have stopped harassing me. “They’re not bad but not as low as we would like them to be because of your heart problems” doesn’t cut it for me. Testosterone replacement therapy also helps lower levels.
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BTW wasn’t this a 81mg asa thread AKA baby aspirin?

Lol
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like @GaryQ, I cannot tolerate statins at all and I have tried them all. Very bad muscle pain and spasms especially in my back and nothing at all helped.

My cholesterol now is managed by a little known drug called Olestyr (cholestyramine resin). I started taking a low dose of that to help my digestive system after colon surgery (recommended by my gastroenterologist) but I now take a second sachet each day to also help with cholesterol. It works pretty well for both issues and, for me, has no side effects.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryQ View Post
    BTW wasn’t this a 81mg asa thread AKA baby aspirin?
    Circling back:

A Statin a Day to Keep the Doctor Away? Comparing Aspirin and Statins for Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
    June 23, 2014

For the primary prevention of cardiovascular (CV) disease, aspirin reduces the risk for major vascular events by approximately 15% to 20% with an absolute reduction of approximately 0.1%. Major bleeding occurs at an excess of approximately 2 cases per 1000 patient-years with aspirin therapy. For primary prevention, statin therapy has been shown to reduce the risk of CV events by approximately 30% to 40% with an absolute reduction of 1% to 2%. Rhabdomyolysis is rare, with an incidence of 3.4 cases per 100 000 patient-years. Compared with aspirin, statins have a more favorable risk-to-benefit profile for primary prevention.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also 2 of the most prescribed “just because” medications that many people don’t really need.

As for ASA when I asked my doctor once if these idiots (psychiatrists) were trying to kill me intentionally prescribing meds that have major cardiac risks involved and should not be prescribed to people like me... he said “don’t stress too much about it... if something kills you it’ll most likely be the aspirin” Funny guy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12