Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indecision

Wisconsin-just on the border of Illinois. Green Bay Packer country.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indecision

How much is known about chronic indecision being a mental condition and treatment for this condition. I have become like an open-ended loop with no connection making it very difficult to prioritize and finish things that need to get done.
    Desiderata

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Indecision

The way I think of it:

Indecision is often a symptom of anxiety or the interplay between anxiety and depression.

Regarding anxiety: Indecision Anxiety

Regarding depression or anxiety, another symptom is behavioral inhibition, which often relates to social inhibition or a lack of social facilitation. For example, it's easier commit to going to the gym with a partner (or have an appointment with a trainer), and, in any case, once you are there, it's hard to leave after just 10 minutes if you are concerned other people will notice.

And rumination is a pastime for anyone with either depression or anxiety, e.g.

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter
    I don't doubt that some of your past worries have "come true". But I am also certain that many of them have not, that many more than you remember have not come true. It's that superstitious thinking based on OCD-style worrying and selective memory that drives the anxiety to such levels.

Rumination, depression, and anxiety

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also:

They say there are two kinds of decision-makers: Maximizers and Satisficers. Maximizers try to make exactly the right decision, get the most out of every choice, and therefore get as much information as they need before choosing. Satisficers take what comes to them, settle for less, and are happy with what they have. Clearly, I was a maximizer as a child. Entering Baskin-Robbins, a satisficer might order the first kind of ice cream she sees when she walks in, or just choose a flavor she knows she likes every time.

There are pros and cons to each type of decision-making, but in the big picture, maximizers suffer a higher psychological toll, becoming more stressed, more anxious, and more disappointed when their expectations aren’t fulfilled. Maximizers tend to make more money, but satisficers feel more satisfied in the end.

Types of Decision Makers and ADHD Indecision
    If you are always telling yourself, “I am not a good decision-maker,” think about the hundreds of decisions you successfully make each week: What should I wear? What route should I take to work? What movie should I see? Where should I go for lunch? Pat yourself on the back for making decisions every day and rephrase your thought to: “I make decisions all the time. I can make decisions.”

Trust your instinct. If you keep coming back to one answer, or if one choice jumps out at you as the best choice, trust that it is the right choice to make, at least for now.

Remember that most choices are reversible. If you decide to take a job and it turns out not to be a good fit, you can look for another one. If you choose to move to an apartment and don’t like the noise from outside, you can find another one and not renew the lease. Most decisions can be adjusted, modified, or reversed.

ADHD and Indecisiveness
    Take an hour to exercise to remove your mind from the situation. It's important to activate the "diffuse" mode of your brain to allow yourself to effectively absorb and take a deeper look at the situation at hand. I find that when I exercise, I'm able to analyze decisions or difficult situations from a different angle and determine the best solution.

10 Proven Ways to Overcome Indecision

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rehash regarding anxiety and depression:

Indecisiveness is a form of anxiety because it usually involves a lot of fear. I’ve heard indecisiveness talked about in conjunction with a lot of fear-based conditions, including perfectionism, obsessive-compulsive disorder and low self-confidence. However, the short answer is that what drives indecisiveness is the worry that you will make the wrong decision.

Getting Rid of Indecisiveness
    Can’t do and can’t decide defines depression. There is also less information gathering going on. The result of all this avoiding making decisions and self-doubt is an increase in negative emotions. Increasing negative emotions creates more severe depression and so the cycle goes.

Can't make up your mind? Indecision, rumination and depression. | counselorssoapbox
    Academic articles on the subject: Google Scholar

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by desiderata View Post
    making it very difficult to prioritize and finish things that need to get done.
    Sounds a bit like executive (dys)Function common with ADHD (for one) it will definitely cause even more difficulty when Anxiety and/or depression decide to all get together and gang up on someone.

It's like getting psychologically mugged and beaten by a gang.

They say the key is to Stop, step back from, and avoid looking at the bigger picture. Pick the one things that seems urgent, even if it's not the most urgent in hindsight, it's still urgent. And just take care of it trying to ignore the rest. They say the trick is to not try to micro-prioritize and just throw into general categories; Urgent, Important, can wait till later, then attacking the categories one item at a time. Takes less time doing the most important thing after the 2nd or 3rd thing in a category than it takes trying to decide which of the 2 or 3 things is more important.

I've learned I get nothing done because I can't back away from the big picture of everything that needs to be done and get overwhelmed. I'm unable to structure and plan or prioritize except when what I have neglected to take care of puts me against the wall. Then it gets taken care of in a panic.

Once in a rare while I actually succeed at doing it the "just pick one thing at a time and ignore the rest" For some strange reason I get a lot done just one thing at a time
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And just take care of it trying to ignore the rest.
    And executive functioning, including such cognitive inhibition ("the mind's ability to tune out stimuli that are irrelevant to the task/process at hand"), can also be increased with mindfulness, e.g.

Mindfulness Based Therapy Effective in Treating ADHD

How Meditation Changes Pain, Relieves Depression

Wisconsin-just on the border of Illinois. Green Bay Packer country.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose its like any other affliction in that there is a root cause and in turn there can be a variety of branches stemming out in a myriad of ways. I love trees and realized some of the metaphors we use from them. A thing will not repair or grow until the underlying issue is addressed.
    Desiderata

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nicely put and in only 2 phrases... contrary to some people here (not me of course )
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by desiderata View Post
    I suppose its like any other affliction in that there is a root cause and in turn there can be a variety of branches stemming out in a myriad of ways. I love trees and realized some of the metaphors we use from them. A thing will not repair or grow until the underlying issue is addressed.
    I would agree, of course, but also point out that sometimes generic approaches, e.g. exercise, socialization, bibliotherapy, biofeedback, animal-assisted therapy, or mindfulness, can help in meaningful ways, even with issues like trauma or death anxiety, or symptoms like hopelessness, especially of course with professional support.

In other words: Every time I see a therapist, they are pushing exercise or mindfulness as a supplement to talk therapy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast