Thanks Thanks:  121
Likes Likes:  225
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Quotable Quotes 14

As a boy, one of my favorite books was The Heart of a Dog by Albert Payson Terhune, a book of short stories published in 1924 about the collies of Sunnybrook Farm, which contained a story titled One Minute Longer.

That book and particularly that story has stayed with me all these years, in part because it contained the line, "Heroism consists in hanging on one minute longer", purportedly an old Norse proverb. The main character in the story has fallen through the ice on a river and is slowly freezing to death while all his attempts to extricate himself make his situation worse. He dispatches his dog, Wolf, to go fetch help and then waits, all the while repeating that proverb to himself, "Heroism consists in hanging on one minute longer".

I actually always remembered the line all these years as "Courage consists in hanging on just one minute longer", until just now when I was curious about when the book was published and found the original text of the story, now in the public domain. You can download a PDF version of the story at ONE MINUTE LONGER by Albert Payson Terhune In the Public Domain - PDF Free Download.

In any case, with all due respect to George S. Patton, the quote did not originate with him. Perhaps he also read that story from The Heart of a Dog.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Life is a guy trying to play a violin solo in public, while learning the music and his instrument at the same time."

"Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging."

~ Joseph Campbell

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The regularity with which humans overcome life obstacles has been referred to as 'ordinary magic' a notion that contradicts much popular press coverage of 'overcoming the odds.'"

~ "Resilience," Encyclopedia of Mental Health

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young."

~ Oscar Wilde

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    "Withdrawing and shutting down in response to life is just another way of getting triggered, and it is no more mature or healthy than emotionally over-reacting."

― Jessica Moore
    Actually, if it is temporary, it can in my opinion be a healthy response to crisis, trauma, or stress.

I call it "going into the cave". It can allow you to filter out a lot of the noise and allow you to use your brain's natural "background processing" to ground yourself, explore alternate coping strategies or solutions, and blunt the high intensity emotional reaction than can sometimes occur and that gets in the way of productive thinking.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    Actually, if it is temporary, it can in my opinion be a healthy response to crisis, trauma, or stress.
    and mania. Just from watching the news, I am often reminded of the book American Mania: When More is Not Enough.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920