Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fat cats: Felines heavier now than in 1990s

That's basically what my vet told me. I feed Mindy Science Diet canned for older cats and Cloverleaf tuna mostly.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the canned also helps prevent/delay kidney disease supposedly, which is rife in elderly cats:

Feline Chronic Kidney Disease | Todays Veterinary Practice

Prevalence of feline CKD increases with age; as many as 30% to 50% of cats older than 15 years of age have CKD. Frequency of CKD in male and female cats is similar, but male cats are often diagnosed at a younger age than female cats.
    BTW, my cats are so picky, they are not big on tuna. They prefer to lick the gravy in their canned food, usually Friskies.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    BTW, my cats are so picky, they are not big on tuna. They prefer to lick the gravy in their canned food, usually Friskies.
    Mindy is also picky.

She doesn't like tuna or other fish cat food. It must be human tuna, flaked, and well mashed up. I also add warm water to tune or canned food to make a gravy and ensure she gets more water that way.

By the way, on a hint from my son. I keep a second water dish in another room, away from where she eats. His theory is that in the wild cats don't like to drink near a kill, presumably because the kill might contaminate the water. Whatever the explanation, she prefers the remote dish of water and will actually eat and go into the other room to drink.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not know that about the contaminated kill water haha. Fortunately I already have three water bowls throughout. One of my cats only drinks water from the bowl in our bedroom area while the other cat is like the dogs and uses every bowl/location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12