Thanks Thanks:  294
Likes Likes:  327
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: My ongoing therapy dilemma

Yeah I know I'm blowing it out of proportion and it's a really common thing that happens to everyone. After distracting myself with some other stuff I read some embarrassing pocket dial stories to try and normalise it. It's just that a lot of stuff with my therapist seems like landmines on my end and like any screw up is going to blow up in my face somehow, even though he's never 'blown up'. I tried to pinpoint what exactly I'm worried about happening - him terminating with me because of unnecessary texting / attention seeking, or not terminating but punishing me in some way to do with communication.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gooblax View Post
    seems like landmines on my end and like any screw up is going to blow up in my face somehow, even though he's never 'blown up'.
    BTW:

'awfulizing'...only makes it seem more frightening.

'catastrophizing'...thinking that something catastrophic will happen unless you do something to stop it.

'low frustration tolerance' (LFT) means regarding anxiety as 'intolerable' or 'unbearable'. Unfortunately this makes it more likely that you will use short-term ways of dealing with it.

Source: What keeps OCD going?

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This just feels too hard. I'm too dependent on my therapist and it makes me scared, as well as angry with myself and causes thoughts of quitting. Again.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"too dependent": what exactly does that meam to you? and why do you define it as a problem?

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That I like talking to him and find it helpful. And then think about him too much between sessions.
    It's a problem because it feels wrong, like it deserves rejection and punishment.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gooblax View Post
    It's a problem because it feels wrong, like it deserves rejection and punishment.
    A possibly related chapter from Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David Burns:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite part is near the chapter's end:

What is the key to releasing yourself from your emotional prison? Simply this: Your thoughts create your emotions; therefore, your emotions cannot prove that your thoughts are accurate. Unpleasant feelings merely indicate that you are thinking something negative and believing it. Your emotions follow your thoughts just as surely as baby ducks follow their mother. But the fact that the baby ducks follow faithfully along doesn't prove that the mother knows where she is going!

Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The thoughts don't seem much like distortions to me - it's how I'd think about someone who was overly dependent on me. At the moment I have to take it at face value where my therapist says he "doesn't think of it like that" but it's probably only a matter of time.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The big problem with cognitive distortions in anxiety, OCD, depression is that they never "seem" or "feel" distorted. That's why they're so compelling.

But someone looking from the outside can see them clearly as distortions.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thoughts don't seem much like distortions to me - it's how I'd think about someone who was overly dependent on me
    How would you think about a friend who was seeing a therapist? I am sure you would not tell them that they are dependent losers, just as you would not tell someone to stop seeing a doctor for diabetes or a job coach for career satisfaction.

Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast