Thanks Thanks:  102
Likes Likes:  122
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: My ongoing therapy dilemma

The thing is fundamental to how I am as a person (or imitation thereof). I don't see how I can possibly change it.
    I'm still going to attend the session and try to talk about why I think the thing can't be changed. But i can't see anything good coming out of the discussion.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But i can't see anything good coming out of the discussion.
    I think therapy can be almost inherently good at building resilience.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

David and Daniel are right.

ill just add that some things in life are worth fighting for; some a little bit; some a bit more and some with everything you have.

I feel you deserve to give it your all and fight with everything you have to give because you are worth it. Doesn't matter if you believe any of us on this subject just fight the fight and see where it leads. Don't forget there's now 30 years of distorted thinking and self destructive thoughts... it's a pattern that will take a lot of effort, hard work, time and patience to overcome.

and you might fall on your face way more and for a longer period than when you learned to walk. You get up you brush it off and you keep on fighting FOR YOU and your future.

I know this part is hard (hell I can't seem to be able to do it at all) but stop looking at what you haven't achieved and start counting everything you have succeeded in and at. Look at your victories and get back up and learn from your failures. There's more victories than defeats except defeats seem 100 times bigger and worse.

P.S. Watch out for swooping magpies too While you're at it
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gooblax View Post
    The thing is fundamental to how I am as a person (or imitation thereof).
    i understand and respect how you feel it you are who you are and your are a person like everyone else. YOU ARE NOT AN IMITATION THEREOF. Therefore as a good friend il have to do this
    ​"A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." ~ Walter Winchell

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I'm going to keep at it, there has to be a way to move on from this topic and have sessions that don't lead to such ridiculous sadness. I don't think I've cried this much since 2006. This might even be more than then.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crying during or after a therapy session is fairly common. It's not like a chat. You are addressing issues which you suppress and don't normally talk about at all. Having an emotional reaction to that is arguably a sign that you're doing what needs to be done, or in other words that therapy is working as it should.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I understand that on a theoretical level, but having it going on and off for almost four weeks after a session seems a bit much.
    Edit: I also think this level of suckiness could've been prevented by some different word choices of what my therapist could have said, so there's that to bring up too.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think this level of suckiness could've been prevented by some different word choices of what my therapist could have said, so there's that to bring up too.
    You absolutely should bring that up. In all likelihood, he was unaware of this.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Somehow I don't thing there's a defined term, time or even definition for what is a bit much...

what's that saying "nobody said it'd be easy but it'll be worth it" I think this is one situation where it's relevant. One of the things I really hate about life is no pain, no gain. Sucks but that's life. Can't appreciate the victories without the challenges.

i also agree that if some chosen words on his behalf aren't appropriate or helpful that you should make a point to address it ASAP. The quicker and easier if it's stopped in it's tracks it's too late otherwise in becomes a pattern that is hard to break.

Its encouraging to read that you're keeping at it even if it's hard and probably emotionally draining. I do honestly see victory over many obstacles. Maybe not the perfection you would like to reach but a balance between what it's been and what you would like is within reach.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The thing that makes me hesitant to bring it up (aside from the risk of being emotional trying to say it) is that it was an honest/truthful thing to say and I don't think it would be helpful for him to lie instead. It's like getting upset about being told that the sky is blue. Rationally it makes sense so it shouldn't be a problem, but emotionally it's a giant ****ing problem even though there's no need for it to be.

Edit : removed extraneous detail

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast