Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Impossible and Beyond: How healthy are these meatless burgers?

The award for best article title goes to:

Is a Healthy Plant-Based Burger 'Impossible?'

The article argues that some of the veggie burgers that have been on the market for years are healthier since they have a greater variety of vegetables and a lot less processing. Of course, they also can taste like mush

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Impossible Burger ground "beef" is now available in our local Safeway grocery store ($8 USD for 12 oz, which isn't too bad).

My husband loves it since ground beef was his favorite thing to eat before becoming a vegetarian. I think it tastes a little too much like the real thing, so I mix in Mrs. Dash and other spices into the pre-cooked "beef." And I put a lot of ketchup on my burgers anyway.

We also made Swedish meatballs, etc. with them. I am going to use them also when we have company. Our relatives cannot tell the difference when we had them try it. For me, it is something for variety, but the less processed veggie burgers made with black beans, etc. are just as tasty.

The Impossible Burger cooks and looks like the real thing (except it cooks faster):

I cooked 4 Impossible Burgers at home, and it felt bizarrely familiar - these are the best and worst parts of the experience

Screenshot_2020-08-25 I cooked 4 Impossible Burgers at home, and it felt bizarrely familiar - th.png

Screenshot_2020-08-25 5d8cd54b2e22af01c9553a38 (WEBP Image, 800 600 pixels).jpg
    Last edited by Daniel; August 25th, 2020 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding moderation:

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2391

Ultra-processed foods (a term which we use to include ultra-processed drinks in this article) tend to be highly palatable, convenient, shelf stable, and affordable, and are often marketed in ways that appeal to children. These characteristics may explain why, in high income and, increasingly, in middle-income countries, ultra-processed foods consistently account for more than 50% of dietary energy. However, evidence is growing that consumption of ultra-processed foods is associated with increased risk of non-communicable disease, presenting a public health challenge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12