Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Therapy is it helping

I have been seeing a therapist for almost one year. Yet I am struggling so very much.
    We do talk therapy. I have written him a ten page letter of all my abuse. We have talked about the rapes and abortion.
    Yet I am having so much flashbacks and nightmares.
    My therapist has helped me with my anxiety and panic attacks, and in getting grounded.
    Is therapy helping me, I don't even know.
    My brain just can't process my complex trauma issues, and I don't even know why not.
    If therapy was helping, why would I be struggling so much.
    He is trained in EMDR, we haven't tried this yet.
    Mainly we just talk about the issues I've been having since our last therapy session.
    I am just feeling confused.
    Do I continue with therapy at $ 120 per hour. He's been kind, he's letting me run a tab, until I get back to work.
    I am just frustrated and not sure what to do, or how to get therapy to work for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like quitting therapy as I don't even know if it's helping or if I'm getting better.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Therapy is it helping

I just answered your PM, @Hunter, but I'll post it here as well and perhaps others can add to it.

It's often difficult for any of us to see our own progress. Usually others can see changes long before we do.

I would suggest

1. asking your therapist what s/he thinks, and
    2. posting this in the forum so you can get input from others who have felt the same way.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Therapy is it helping

You have been dealing with several major stressors lately at the same time (injuries after car accident, financial difficulties, spousal difficulties). So just getting through this difficult period is an accomplishment. I would argue, if anything, for more resources to help you -- such as also seeing a case/social worker at a non-profit agency.