Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone embarrassed to admit to seeing a therapist?

Only a couple of people know I go, because its like if people hear that, they think you are crazy or something. I dont think I am crazy, but am afraid others will view me like that. I find myself saying, if asked, that I have an appt, and leave it at that. If they press or inquire further, I say just getting a checkup...
    Do you hide the fact that you go and talk to a therapist? Is it normal to feel this way?

It's weird, because I want to appear normal to my therapist!!!! Let alone others..

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is any embarrassed to admit to seeing a therapist?

Seeing a mental health therapist should be perceived in the same way as seeing one's Family Physician, Gynecologist or barber for that matter.? Even though there is greater awareness about the prevalence of psychological, emotional and psychiatric disorders in this twenty first century, there is still a stigma attached to mental disorders in some circles.

IMO whether one shares this information ought to be on a need to know basis.? There does not seem to be any benefit, in my view, to tell everyone you encounter;? however there may be some people on whom you would want to count on for support, with whom you would share your information.

I don't believe your response about "getting a check up" or a? "medical follow up" to be deceptive, but just revealing information on a need to know basis.

I would be interested in what others have to say as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am afraid that a lot of people view therapy as something to be ashamed of. I certainly dont go around broadcasting it, just like I wouldnt for an OB/GYN, or family Dr. appt.

Roseanne Barr was on Larry King last night, and she has been in therapy for yrs and has been diagnosed with lots of mental problems, and is doing fine now. Maybe that is what triggered me to ask this question. She is on national TV saying all this and here I am worried about what my therapist thinks of me.

I am curious to what others have to say about this, including therapists as well as people who go to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me add one more thing... I have a lot of respect for this profession and the dedicated Dr's that are out there helping people. I am not ashamed of the profession, just in relation to how it is perceived if you go for help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me add one more thing... I have a lot of respect for this profession and the dedicated Dr's that are out there helping people. I am not ashamed of the profession, just in relation to how it is perceived if you go for help.

sorry for the double post!! Not sure how that happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunset, I think that is a great question. ?I know for myself that most people do not know that I go to but I have told a select few. ?I have been told that they don't think that I am crazy but just that I am taking the necessary steps to take care of myself. ?I did have to tell my two immediate bosses because of time off of work during the day and such but they have been great and helpful when I need it. ?They also respect that this is a subject that I do not want the whole office to know and they have kept it to themselves. ?I really respect them for it. ?

Anyway, talk to you later.
    N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunset...

I don't feel seeing a therapist as an embarassment at all!! In fact, I think it is a sign strength and introspective thought. By going to therapist, you are saying to yourself that there are problems outside your scope of being able to deal with. A secondary (unrelated) opinion is a great thing at times.

If those that you share the fact that you are seeing a therapist with choose to cast judgement, that is THEIR issue. You may also want to reevaluate your relationship with these people if that is in fact the case.

Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is anyone embarrassed to admit to seeing a therapist?

Sunset, I can relate to how you feel, I used to feel that way when I was a bit younger. I don't feel that way anymore though. People generally become more understanding when they are older. But also, I find now, that I enjoy the people who are able to admit to having flaws and who are able to laugh at themselves and their flaws. The way I see it, everyone has lots of things go wrong, and nobody's perfect, so I admire when people are able to come to terms with the flaws and the problems that are inherently human, and I like it and are really drawn to people that are open about it. Also I find that secrets lose all the power they had over you when you let them out.

With that being said, I don't think that there is anything wrong with not telling people that you don't want to tell-if that's your preference. I think either way is perfectly acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one should be embarrased to see a therapist of any kind. If anyone would have a problem with it, they obviously have a serious problema and need to see a therapist too. Seeing a therapist is a very good thing. One of my friend is an alcoholic and was embarrased to say that he was going to start going to AA meetings. I told him that at least you are sorting yourself out and not drinking. You need to stop being paranoid, you are not crazy for seeing someone just honest and very bright.Well done for you for sharing that with us. Means alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your opinions on this topic. Very interesting....

It is nice to know that not everyone views this as "you are a mental case and ready for a straightjacket" kind of thing.? There was a time (2 yrs ago) when I hit rock bottom and ended up in the hospital psych ward. I was going through many traumas in the matter of a couple of months and I needed help. The big things being I just had a total hysterectomy ( I? have no kids, and it was rough for me to come to terms with). While I am home recuperating, I find out I am losing my job in 2 months after having? worked there for 18 yrs and the people were all like family to me. My favorite aunt died, my father, then another aunt, and an uncle.? I was dealing with many feelings of abandonment, and incredible loss. It got to the point that I was crying and crying and could not stop. They said I had a breakdown.
    Well, I was only in the hospital for 1 day, and they realized I needed to talk to someone, but I certainly didnt need to be in a psych ward, so I was released, as I wanted to be right away.
    I have heard whisperings to keep quiet about being in the hospital because people will label you as a mental case and are fragile and cant handle life, so tip toe around her. I guess this is where I felt I should be ashamed to need this kind of help.
    Thank you for showing me another side to what others think. You have given me more to think about.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast