95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: 3 Positive Things Part 7

Quote Originally Posted by gooblax View Post
    will buy it tomorrow WITHOUT second guessing myself
    I'm sure it will be much better than my first computer

IBM Personal System/2 - Wikipedia

My parents bought it for me at a Florida department store chain (Burdines), which had a third-party partnership with IBM at the time:

IBM, BURDINES TEAM UP TO TEST SALES OF PCS
    November 28, 1988

...Computerbanc is one of those advanced dealers, but it will only sell the low- end IBM machines in its Burdines locations. The PS/2 model 25s and 30s run on the same DOS operationg system found on predecessors, machines meaning that the software is fully compatible. The IBM PS/2s possessing the so-called Micro Channel architecture were left out because they are less likely to be bought by potential home computer buyers shopping for clothes and home furnishings.
    Last edited by Daniel; January 20th, 2021 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BONUS: Felt like going back in time in a time machine when I went inside a Barnes & Noble today. Last time I was in a big bookstore was about five years ago. (Like the Canadian Chapters).

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BONUS #2: Just realized a local, independent bookstore is (still) hosting bookclubs/events/authors online due to COVID-19.

BONUS #3: Husband is still smoking only a fraction of pot compared to his previous last year. (Has CT of his lungs soon as a routine cancer screening.)

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

1. My dad's friend brought over a jar of fresh honey.
    2. There are fans in a few rooms of the house to keep cool (although I'm not near one of them now).
    3. I've put the pie crusts in the oven.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What is the deal with the air conditioning? They don't have it, or is it like the router?

When I visit my sister in law in Phoenix in the summer, they have the thermostat so high sometimes, the A/C is just there to keep people comfortable enough not to die Fortunately, my husband lowers the thermostat himself while he tells her what he thinks about the situation

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

They just don't have one. Whereas I have one at my place but have never used it - it's in the bedroom so what good is it doing there (also it would be a sign of weakness for me to use it lol - when I was a kid, on days where it was cool enough to need a jumper indoors but hot enough outdoors that you probably shouldn't wear one, I'd run around on the oval still wearing my jumper and would want to keep it on to train for hot conditions. One of my teachers was routinely telling me to take it off and hang it in the fence til the end of lunch.).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad's friend brought over a jar of fresh honey.
    Wow. Why back in my day, the only thing people brought over was stale honey. Best before January 10, 1847. We ate it anyway. And we liked it. You kids today have it easy. Fresh honey. Huh. In my day, the bees kept the fresh stuff and they gave away the stale stuff. Bastards. No wonder I don't like bees.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post

Best before January 10, 1847
    And everything else started going downhill after that, like people using Bell's telephone instead of talking to each other in person

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    Wow. Why back in my day, the only thing people brought over was stale honey. Best before January 10, 1847. We ate it anyway. And we liked it. You kids today have it easy. Fresh honey. Huh. In my day, the bees kept the fresh stuff and they gave away the stale stuff. Bastards. No wonder I don't like bees.
    If it's any consolation, my jar of vegemite probably originated in 1847 but they don't put a best before date on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    And everything else started going downhill after that, like people using Bell's telephone instead of talking to each other in person
    Not to mention the discovery of DNA.

Page 96 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4686919293949596