Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Suicide Prevention Quotes

"When people are suicidal, their thinking is paralyzed, their options appear spare or nonexistent, their mood is despairing, and hopelessness permeates their entire mental domain. The future cannot be separated from the present, and the present is painful beyond solace."

"Disconcertingly, one of the highest-risk periods for suicide is when patients are actually recovering from depression."

― Kay Redfield Jamison, Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"To anyone out there who’s hurting—it’s not a sign of weakness to ask for help. It’s a sign of strength."

– Barack Obama

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Everything used to seem to final, inevitable, predestined. But now, I'm starting to believe that life may have more surprises in store than I ever realized.”

"Life can seem awful and unfixable until the universe shifts a little and the observation point is altered, and then suddenly, everything seems more bearable."

“Maybe all anyone ever needs is for someone to notice them, to observe them.”

― Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."

~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"For people who think there’s nothing to live for, nothing more to expect from life … the question is getting these people to realise that life is still expecting something from them."

~ Victor Frankl

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depression is not a perspective. It is a disease. Resisting that claim, we may ask: Seeing cruelty, suffering and death -- shouldn't a person be depressed? There are circumstances, like the Holocaust, in which depression might seem justified for every victim or observer. Awareness of the ubiquity of horror is the modern condition, our condition.

But then, depression is not universal, even in terrible times. Though prone to mood disorder, the great Italian writer Primo Levi was not depressed in his months at Auschwitz. I have treated a handful of patients who survived horrors arising from war or political repression. They came to depression years after enduring extreme privation. Typically, such a person will say: ''I don't understand it. I went through -- '' and here he will name one of the shameful events of our time. ''I lived through that, and in all those months, I never felt this.'' This refers to the relentless bleakness of depression, the self as hollow shell. To see the worst things a person can see is one experience; to suffer mood disorder is another. It is depression -- and not resistance to it or recovery from it -- that diminishes the self.

Beset by great evil, a person can be wise, observant and disillusioned and yet not depressed. Resilience confers its own measure of insight. We should have no trouble admiring what we do admire -- depth, complexity, aesthetic brilliance -- and standing foursquare against depression.

~ Peter Kramer

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took me a long time to grasp the dialectic inherent in planning a suicide or engaging in self-harm. Both make you feel better, and both make you feel worse. Both sides are true. When I can't get an agreement from a client to stay alive forever, then I try for a certain amount of time. If she's giving me a week, I try for two, and keep going until I am stopped. If I can't get an agreement, I search for a synthesis: "If we can find a way to get your life to be experienced as worth living, would you be willing to work on finding that?" Almost all say yes...

The therapist must be able to speak for both sides: “You are miserable and want to die; I can understand how you feel, how painful your life is at times, and how hard it is to stay alive. On the other hand, I can also imagine the tragedy of your dying by suicide. I know you often think no one cares, but I am pretty sure you know that I care, that your cat cares, and, if you really think about it, that your parent cares. I totally believe that you can build a life that you will view as worth living. Even in your tears, you have to believe, let go of disbelief, and hold on to hope.”

~ Marsha Linehan

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If you're in the throes of nihilistic thinking, remember: You're upset because you care. And as long as you care about fear, you have the capacity to care about other things, too. Give it time...and you'll find that life is meaningful, after all -- just, perhaps, not in the ways you expect it to be."

~ Avery Rogers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345