Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Dual diagnosis section?

I know there are separate sections for schizophrenia and drug addiction but what about a dual diagnosis (not sure what its called in Canada) section. CM

Re: dual diagnosis section?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyme
    I know there are separate sections for schizophrenia and drug addiction but what about a dual diagnosis (not sure what its called in Canada) section. CM
    I'd say these issues would fit best in the schizophrenia section. since the alcohol abuse is usually a result of the schizophrenia (poor coping mechanism) rather than vice-versa.

Re: Dual diagnosis section?

That's my feeling too, basically. While "dual diagnosis" usually refers to an addictions issue plus something else, if you consider it in the more generic sense many people have more than one diagnosis/issue. My feeling, for purposes of the forum, is to post it in the section which best6 fits it.

In the case of someone with addictions who is suffering from schizophrenia, I would see it as being more appropriate for the Schizophrenia section because the issues, problems, and resolutions are rather different from someone who is "just" an addict.