Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weight management?

I have been going to the gym all week and last week. Since I'm recovering from my broken leg theres limited things I can do. I bike for a hour 15miles . I do at leat 2 sets of lifting weights for my upperbody for 1/2 . and I eat ok.. I try to eat healthy, yogurt, milk,chicken, fruits and veggies. What I' am I doing wrong. I can't seem to loose the weight. Maybe its that im gaining muscle instead. what do you think.
    The hardest thing you can do is smile when you are ill, in pain, or depressed. But this no-cost remedy is a necessary first half-step if you are to start on the road to recovery.” Allen Klein

Re: weight management?

sorry i for got to add something. in the middle of my sintence. (Racing thoights again) I do 2 sets of 20 upper body lifting
    The hardest thing you can do is smile when you are ill, in pain, or depressed. But this no-cost remedy is a necessary first half-step if you are to start on the road to recovery.” Allen Klein

Re: weight management?

First, you are undoubtedly putting on muscle and do remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so that could be part of the reason.

Second, I wonder do you really need to lose weight at all? Or is this part of a distorted body image? Have you discussed this with your doctor? It is possible that you were previously below a healthy weight and your body is simply trying to get back to a healthy one.

Third, if it's true (objectively) that you are putting on weight (not because you were previously underweight), if i recall I think you mentioned that you were taking Effexor (Iis that correct?)... if so, it is possible that this is another byproduct of the medication that you may wish to discuss with your doctor... again, a change to a different SSRI medication might be helfpul.

Re: Weight management?

I have read in a lot of books that if you do alot of fasting and purging that it slows your matabolism, which I think is true. everyone that i've talk to says that I don't need to loose weight and that I look better then I have. I used to be really skinny . Yeah your probably right my body is trying to get into a health state. I often wounder if im just just growing into a womens body and im not comfortable with the idea? I know i have low selfesteem and I don't like my appearnce (physically and mentally). I try and just stay away from scales and focus on stay and being healthy but theres always that otherhalf of me that just want to be really skinny and I can't get there. I've tried getting of my effexor before and I tapered off. I got donw to the 150's and then eventually 75 but I got to sick and went back up. and even at 150 i don't even feel like this has worked to so I go back up to 375?

I wasn't suggesting that you stop taking medication - just that it might be worth talking to your doctor about changing it to avoid the side-effects.

Is your doctor a GP / family physician or a psychiatrist?

I have a family doctor. And I also have a psychiatrist that I see. im seening him next week sometime. I will defenitly talk to him. Maybe I could taper off of the Effexor and take some Meclize? can you do that?

spelled that wrong Meclizine

Meclizine isn't an antidepressant so that wouldn't be a good substitute - I think it's for control of nausea or motion sickness.

However, there are a variety of options for other SSRI medications. One might be to try reducing the dose of Effexor and adding in a small amount of Wellbutrin or even a small amount of zyprexa to reduce the side-effects and boost the serotonin (anti-depressant) effects of the lower dose of Effexor. Another would be to switch to celexa or cipralex... your doctors should be in the best position to help you make that decision.

9. Re: Weight management?

Wow, with that diet, and that amount of *furious* excersize, you must feel pretty healthy? if you don't focus on how you look, do you? Perhaps incorperating some yoga and focusing of relisiance, and your breathing may help. I found that excersize (in the gym sense) never really helped my self esteem, but yoga, because you continually get better, and suddenly are able to do a stretch that was NEVER possible when you started, is amazing for self esteem, PLUS instead of BULKING muscle, it lengthens muscle, ... just something to ponder anyway
    x

Phoenic: I love to exercise. And I feel a little more better when my husband is with me. I always thought about going and doing yoga, but right now i really can't becasue of my bum leg. Excersicing makes me feel like ive accomplished something.

As for the Meclizine I figured it would help with the nueasua and shocking feeling you get?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast