Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Therapist controls the Session

I have OCD, only there's a catch here. My OCD is almost non existent when it comes to dealing with anyone outside my family. When I am around my immediate family (Mother, brother, aunts, cousins etc.) my fear of contamination is stronger than ever. I avoid them like the plague, however any other time, whether it be strangers, colleagues, acquaintances, I am fine. My current doctor says this is A-typical and more an anxiety issue than anything else, and actually ruled out OCD.

My question is this: Would therapy be helpful in this situation. I am also seeing a therapist, but we never manage to talk about this issue, and so I feel awkward bringing it up. It's almost as if my therapist feels I already know what I need to do about it and so there's no need talking about it, or at least this is the vibe I get when in session. We basically steer away from these issues and talk about my immediate circumstances, as if I were merely talking to anyone else. How do I politely indicate that I would like to discuss these issues which is why I chose to go back into therapy in the first place. I already feel uncomfortable bringing them up, but I would like to at least give it try.

Re: Therapist controls the Session

The best advice I can give you is be direct. Your therapist may not be bringing it up for several possible reasons but of you let him/her know that it is a concern for you I can't see any therapist saying "no".