Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with panic attack please

Hi,

Alright i had like the scariest day of my life today. I had what i think was a panic attack can anyone let me know if this is correct. I got off the subway and all of a sudden my heart start beating fast, i then hyperventilated and felt really scared. Now i am walking with a heavy load of fear and anxiety and i got dizzy and felt like i was going to die or that i lost my mind or something. I think ive had panic attacks before but they werent this bad. My anxiety problems went away and now here they come out of nowhere and i dont know what to do. id really appreciate any input, thnx.

Thomas

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: help with panic attack pls

It sounds like it could be.

Are you seeing a doctor about your anxiety?

There are some good tips here about dealing with anxiety:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/index.php/topic,3873.0.html

I hope you feel better soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. Nope i am not seeing a doctor about this. I think i will though because i dont want panic attacks to continue. I did some thinking though i think what triggered this one was because i havent eaten alot the past few days. The only thing is if i see someone about this it has to be free because im a student and i dont have alot of money.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It definitely sounds like a panic attack to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Help with panic attack please

Panic attacks can be so scary as they can take you by suprose and they sometimes seem to stem from no where.

If you haven't by now I would suggest seeing a Dr, I thought that I didn't need to for mine, then they got worse and I was told that I should have come when I had the original onset.

I have found also that reading about them helps, not to stop them but to be more aware of them, by understanding them better I have found that I panic less when having one if this makes sense!

Heather...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello and wellcome to the boards! It sounds like a panic attack to me as well. Perhaps you could see a counselor at your school or even your regular doctor can likely help you with this.
    Take care
    Rosa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Thomas,

I know it's been a couple of weeks since you posted initially and I don't know what you've learned in the meantime about panic, but, just in case you don't know, a lot of the symptoms of panic attacks stem from your breathing. If you feel a panic attack coming on it helps if you can try (I know it's hard!) to focus on keeping your breathing deep (from your diaphragm) and steady, breathing out for longer than you breathe in (for example, breathe in for 4 counts and out for 5). If you can control your breathing this will probably help your heart rate and dizziness. Relaxation exercises are also a good idea, I understand. If you can can practise identifying when your muscles are tight and when they're loose when you're feeling fine, it helps you to be able to notice tension and manage it in a panic attack. There's more to it than that, but those things might help manage it a little. I hope you were able to see a doctor and that they were helpful to you.

All the best,

Meg
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." - Carl Jung

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The breathing exercise is calming and helps get through an panic attack. I didnt see a doctor yet but i had another panic attack i thought it would go away. I started a job in a factory for the summer as i am a student and i had a panic attack while i was working and then anxiety lasting for the rest of the day. i cant go back to work because i know i will have another panic attack.

I dont know what to do about this. It can be from one of two things either i have a messed up adrenal gland system or it is psychological. I have some social anxiety and i used to feel agoraphobic when the panic attacks first started, and chronic depression so there could be something that causes all of these. I know im really sensitive though and have self esteem issues because i feel like a loser and i dont have much confidence.

Going through these things has been extremely hard for me and i have no support because no one close to me understands depression or panic attacks everyone think its some harmless thing. These things jus make me feel like i cant cope with the world im only 19 and i have all these problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellodolphin,

My suggestion to you would be to go and see your doctor. I know how overwhelming it can be to have no support or understanding and I think that if you went to your doctor, they may be able to offer some solutions or alternatives to the panick attacks and anxiety that you are feeling.

Take care
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi again, Thomas.

I'm glad that you are able to use the breathing exercise to help you through an attack. It sounds to me, though, like these panic attacks are developing into a problem that is interfering with your ability to go to work and I don't imagine that that is going to help matters at all, particularly if you are also dealing with depression. Panic attacks can also develop into something called 'panic disorder,' I don't know if you've heard of it or not. I agree with Nancy that it would be helpful for you to go and talk to someone about it. It's really frustrating when you have a problem such as the ones that you are currently experiencing that the people around you don't seem to understand about, but there are people who you can talk to who do understand how hard it is and who can give you help in overcoming them. There are good psychological treatments available for panic attacks and panic disorder.

It must be a lot to cope with, and I can imagine that it might lead to feeling like things were out of control. I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel like you have the support that you need. I know it's not quite the same as having a 'real' person to lean on, but post away here as much as you need to. Sometimes getting thoughts down on 'paper' can make things seem clearer.

All the best,

Meg
    "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being." - Carl Jung

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast