Likes Likes:  8
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Avoidant Personality Disorder

A possibly similar point:

With negative/ruminative thinking, it's easy to get lost in symptoms, problems of living, etc. at the expense of focusing on solutions (including what you are doing already that is effective/helpful) and what you want in life anyway.

For example:

Solution-Focused Questions for Anxiety
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there.” ~ Rumi

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just trying to express that you seem overly obsessed with finding a specific identifier to your problem(s) and it will only increase your anxiety rather than calm it. (BTW it's totally understandable)

Physical problems need as clear and concise a diagnosis as possible. Example: My heart problem is mainly caused by acute coronary artery disease. The diagnosis is important because it defines a pretty exact treatment protocol: lowering blood pressure, thinning blood and reducing the risk of clotting by reducing my platelet levels substantially. When I had blocked arteries the diagnosis was important and hence the recommended treatment depending on the % of the blockage was stents or CAGB (Coronary artery bypass surgery)

Psyychiatric/Psychological problems are different since the same "issue" can be caused by a multitude of factors that unless a psychiatrist or psychologist could rewind and watch your whole life to see if any outside factors that you could potentially not remember have caused or aggravated the "issue". Example my fear of abandonment and of rejection could probably be caused by childhood trauma or simply by other neuropsychiatric problems or everything combined. Knowing what triggered or cause the issue can help to understand and treat accordingly but most therapy is focused on learning to overcome and deal with it and if medication is necessary then many trials might be necessary. Psychiatry and Psychology are not exact sciences. What might seem like the blatantly obvious cause of a problem or a diagnosis might be totally out in left field. But when it comes to treating certain problems there is a lot of trial and error over the years to be able to work out an approach to help you deal with the issue. I remember when one psychiatrist told me my only problem was that I had a "personality disorder" When I asked my GP what the heck is a personality disorder he said that's what they say when they don't have the slightest clue what's wrong with you.

Also, I believe that unless a medication has been tried and totally failed or caused serious side effects if a psychiatrist recommends trying it (ex the Prozac) then I think the risk is worth the potential reward. After all he has spent a lot of time learning about this stuff to get his degree. Worse case scenario you feel like crap till the stuff is finally out of your system if the med trial didn't work or gave negative side effects that were intolerable.

I've personally been through 2 trials in the last 2 months one as a combo therapy with bupropion and sertraline on my recommendation and the other was my doctor's suggestion that I try Trintellix. Both were really bad total failures. Can't win them all.

Try some of the suggestions that have been offered to help you maybe start with your anxiety. Reducing anxiety has a funny side effect of making other issues so much easier to deal with. My Tourette for example was diagnosed as "mild" oh boy you would think I was on Cocaine, Crack or Meth when it would flare up in anxious moments. Mindfulness might be a good start for calming your anxiety also deep breathing techniques. Daniel seems to know a lot about it and is always willing to provide help so he could probably help you with tips or guidance on the subject. He's also very good and finding relevant articles. Kind of like our own human version of a Google search engine for the forum There is so much help and information on the forum regarding anxiety. I only seem to be able to deal with my anxiety with Clonazepam (probably due to less work and effort needed on my part) but sooner or later as the tolerance continues to build it will no longer be effective and so I too need to start learning techniques to lower my anxiety and stress levels with other means.

EDIT: See what I mean as I was taking forever on top of being interrupted writing my response Daniel (our forum Google) had already added another post. I think a pretty good one!
    Last edited by GaryQ; October 31st, 2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: EXTRA COMMENT

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345