Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoidant Personality Disorder

Quote Originally Posted by Roy H. View Post
    By the way, I took an online test about "Avoidant personality disorder" and scored way over the threshold to meet the criteria. But who the hell is going to give a ---- about me?
    As I have said many times, these online tests are not a diagnosis. At best, they are very broad screening tests with as much chance of leading you down the wrong path as the right path.

You can use online tests as entertainment. For anything else, see a qualified professional.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Would you recommend I bring this up with a therapist, or a psychiatrist?

Also, is this "Avoidant Personality Disorder" just another made-up contrived "Anthropophobia" label, that may or may not really have any substance?

There doesn't seem to be a ton of information or interest in it. What is it...2.4% people have "it"?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you recommend I bring this up with a therapist, or a psychiatrist?
    A psychologist or a psychiatrist.

Also, is this "Avoidant Personality Disorder" just another made-up contrived "Anthropophobia" label, that may or may not really have any substance?
    It's real. It is included in the "Cluster C" group of personality disorders in DSM5.

See Cluster C and Avoidant Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.82 (F60.6) - Therapedia

There doesn't seem to be a ton of information or interest in it. What is it...2.4% people have "it"?
    From Avoidant Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.82 (F60.6) - Therapedia:

Prevalence
    The DSM-5 reports that APD affects approximately 2.4 percent of the population (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). Among patients in outpatient psychiatric clinics, there is between 10% and 20% of that population affected by APD.
    But the fact that is relatively rare doesn't make it "not real" or "trivial". The prevalence of schizophrenia is the general population is even lower but that is a very real and very debilitating disease.

From NIMH Schizophrenia

Prevalence of Schizophrenia
    Precise prevalence estimates of schizophrenia are difficult to obtain due to clinical and methodological factors such as the complexity of schizophrenia diagnosis, its overlap with other disorders, and varying methods for determining diagnoses. Given these complexities, schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders are often combined in prevalence estimation studies. A summary of currently available data is presented here.

Across studies that use household-based survey samples, clinical diagnostic interviews, and medical records, estimates of the prevalence of schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders in the U.S. range between 0.25% and 0.64%.

Estimates of the international prevalence of schizophrenia among non-institutionalized persons is 0.33% to 0.75%.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Baxter View Post
    A psychologist or a psychiatrist.

It's real. It is included in the "Cluster C" group of personality disorders in DSM5.

See Cluster C and Avoidant Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.82 (F60.6) - Therapedia

From Avoidant Personality Disorder DSM-5 301.82 (F60.6) - Therapedia:

But the fact that is relatively rare doesn't make it "not real" or "trivial". The prevalence of schizophrenia is the general population is even lower but that is a very real and very debilitating disease.

From NIMH Schizophrenia
    This is a little off topic but since we're talking about it I will ask: Is "avoidant personality disorder" a form of schizophrenia?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think avoidance personality disorder is a form of schizophrenia . It may be someone with schizophrenia will have trust issues or delusional thoughts that keep them from wanting to be with people but no is is not a form of schizophrenia. It is a diagnosis all of its own i think just my thoughts i am not a doctor.
    Words always stay inside ones soul

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I found this in Wikipedia:

Avoidant personality disorder is reported to be especially prevalent in people with anxiety disorders, although estimates of comorbidity vary widely due to differences in (among others) diagnostic instruments. Research suggests that approximately 10–50% of people who have panic disorder with agoraphobia have avoidant personality disorder, as well as about 20–40% of people who have social anxiety disorder. In addition to this, avoidant personality disorder is more prevalent in persons who have comorbid social anxiety disorder and generalised anxiety disorder than in those who have only one of the aforementioned conditions.

Some studies report prevalence rates of up to 45% among people with generalized anxiety disorder and up to 56% of those with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Posttraumatic stress disorder is also commonly comorbid with avoidant personality disorder.

Avoidants are prone to self-loathing and, in certain cases, self-harm. In particular, avoidants who have comorbid PTSD have the highest rates of engagement in self-harming behavior, outweighing even those with borderline personality disorder (with or without PTSD). Substance use disorders are also common in individuals with AvPD—particularly in regards to alcohol, benzodiazepines and heroin—and may significantly affect a patient's prognosis. Earlier theorists proposed a personality disorder with a combination of features from borderline personality disorder and avoidant personality disorder, called "avoidant-borderline mixed personality" (AvPD/BPD)…

There is also an overlap between avoidant and schizoid personality traits (see schizoid avoidant behavior) and AvPD may have a relationship to the schizophrenia spectrum...

There is controversy as to whether avoidant personality disorder (AvPD) is distinct from generalized social anxiety disorder. Both have similar diagnostic criteria and may share a similar causation, subjective experience, course, treatment and identical underlying personality features, such as shyness.

It is contended by some that they are merely different conceptualisations of the same disorder, where avoidant personality disorder may represent the more severe form. In particular, those with AvPD experience not only more severe social phobia symptoms, but are also more depressed and more functionally impaired than patients with generalized social phobia alone. But they show no differences in social skills or performance on an impromptu speech. Another difference is that social phobia is the fear of social circumstances whereas AvPD is better described as an aversion to intimacy in relationships.

Avoidant personality disorder - Wikipedia

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a more general, cross-cultural perspective:

Estimates suggest that nearly half a million Japanese youth have become social recluses.

Hikikomori - Wikipedia

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Also, I found this in Wikipedia:
    I actually read that before you posted it (the Wiki link) and saw the correlation in that article, which is why I asked.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked the book Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation, though it's been years since I read it. There isn't any mention of schizophrenia or autism. The avoidant behaviors of the young people are mostly seen as from culturally-induced anxiety, including PTSD, as well as familial shame and ignorance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I really liked the book Shutting Out the Sun: How Japan Created Its Own Lost Generation, though it's been years since I read it. There isn't any mention of schizophrenia or autism. The avoidant behaviors of the young people are mostly seen as from culturally-induced anxiety, including PTSD, as well as familial shame and ignorance.
    I'm afraid to go outside when particular neighbors are out there - even though I like them and want to interact with them.

Going to work around people is painful every day for me - so much so I am thinking about giving up my job, even though I am okay with the job and want to keep it.

Family gatherings are horrific for me...I either am able to medicate with vodka or miss out entirely. I skipped my sister's wedding because I was mortified of seeing all the people and be barraged with staring eyes.

Are those flags, do you think, for APD?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast