Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealing With Retirement

Many people reaching the age of retirement feel they have many more years to be productive at their profession and are not prepared to stop working. Even more traumatic is forced retirement in people whose employer suddenly decides to cut back on employees over a certain age.

On the other hand there are people whose only purpose in working is to prepare for retirement and can't wait to stop working.

Which group do you identify with and what are your retirement plans? Do you feel ready to quit and pursue other interests? How do you feel about spending more time with your spouse?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dealing With Retirement

Definitely this one:

feel they have many more years to be productive at their profession and are not prepared to stop working
    I like what I do and I'm in no hurry to stop doing it. Sometimes i think 3 or 4 days a week instead of 5 would be nice but not zero. I expect I'll just slowly taper down when the time comes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I win the lottery, retirement and retirement permanently! To someplace with less taxes and great drinks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like David, I enjoy what I do and have no desire to stop doing it. It's great to have a few days off once in awhile, just to muck about doing the things I enjoy, but I can't imagine life without my work. It's important to me, and helps give me a wider perspective on life and living it. It also makes me feel useful, and I think that's important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just starting my career and I love it.

I feel worthwhile at work and even if I won the lottery, then I would still work.

Steph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people in professions such as the medical or legal professions feel they have invested so much of their lives in their training, plus their love and dedication to their work they are hesitant to walk away from their work.

What is it about the personality and psychological make up of professionals that ties them so closely to their work?

Having worked in the private sector as a paid employee, though I enjoyed my work, I did not feel a personal need to remain in my work and welcomed the opportunity to stop working.

What's the difference in the way we both perceive our work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that I would join in on this conversation and state that I work in the private sector but it is also a law firm. I see what TSOW is saying by lawyers having invested so much time, money and energy into their schooling that they don't want to give it up. We actually have people in our office that are in their 80s and 90s. I think that it is great that they still want to come to work and how much they actually do is beside the point.

While I do absolutely love my job, I would also like to win the lottery (besides for financial reasons) but the feeling of not "having" to work anymore. Of course I would just love to volunteer with the elderly people in a nursing home (visit them, play cards with them, take them for walks etc.) I would like that I have the freedom to travel and volunteer whenever I felt like it.

Anyway sorry I was

I think that this is a great topic.

Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but the feeling of not "having" to work anymore. Of course I would just love to volunteer
    Nancy,

Your comments are not off topic at all and are very relevant.

What you are saying is that financial independence would permit you to explore other specific interests. Having a specific plan to accompany financial independence, in my view results in successful retirement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I figure by the time I retire, I will just have my student load paid off!!

I have spent years studying to become what I really want to do in life.

What is it about the personality and psychological make up of professionals that ties them so closely to their work?
    I don't know? I am passionate about helping people.

What do you think? What makes us different?

Steph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What makes us different?
    It will be interesting in better understanding how different people are motivated in their life's work.

I know many people who planned for so called early retirement very early in their careers. Every career move, relocation decision, purchase options and even family decisions were made with the long term goal in mind. These people, very early in their lives, calculated how much money they needed to accumulate in order to achieve financial independence to be able to stop working.

Therefore their motivation to work, was inspired by their long term goal. It's not to say they were any less passionate or devoted to their jobs, but their short tern decisions were made to support the ultimate long term goal.

Does it have something to do with how one identifies themselves?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast