Thread: Coming Clean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming Clean

Hi,

(wasn't sure where to put this)

I just wanted to share some good news (for once). I went to see a new family physician (GP) last week and it went really well. I had to fill out a form prior to my first appointment so he would know something about me. When I came to the question that asked how much I drink in a week, I put down a very ladylike "2 glasses per week", followed by a question mark. As the doctor was reading my form and that question in particular, I blurted out, "I drink a lot more than that!". And then I told him everything, how much I drink, when, where and my feeble excuses as to why. And I also told him a lot of other stuff; how I was feeling, how isolated I was, my lack friends or a social life. And it was wonderful to get it all out of my head. And he was great. He wants to see me again, I can call him anytime I want to. I think it was just so important to me that he took the time to listen. I don't know where I'm going to go after this but it's a start. He told me they have a psychiatrist on staff and that he's trained to deal with these issues also.

I think opening up takes time for some people. I started here and the sky didn't fall. I'm still pretty close lipped but I think I'm making progress. I just have to find the right people to talk to.

Thanks and take care,

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Coming Clean

That's really great!!!! Having someone listen just means the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is wonderful news!! each time someone takes the time to listen to me it makes such a huge difference. i have a great gp and the last time i saw him he took time for me and it meant so much to me. well done on blurting it out mary. this is really fantastic because it means you are ready to look for a solution and ready to take care of yourself. and you are so lucky to have a gp who is there for you. i am so happy for you. take care and keep us up to date.
    ~ our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising each time we fall - confucius
    ~ it is the journey, not the destination, that matters
    ~ keep hanging on, the sun will come shining through for you again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's fantastic news Mary... well done.. and yes it's definately progress!!.
    let us know how u get on in future apts eh, whether with the gp or the psychiatrist.

well done !!!!!

nsa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Mary! That's great news! Not only did you find a caring, empathetic GP, but you were able to come clean with him and find that you weren't rejected. In fact, it sounds like he really understands and has taken your problems seriously. I can't tell you how glad I am for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, thanks for all the support.

I'm pretty excited about things but I also have a sense that it's not going to work out. I tend to put all my hopes into a person or thing, thinking "this time - everything will be okay" and then I lose momentum and give up. Oh well, can't hurt to try, right.

Thanks again,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a difference this time, Mary. We're here to support you. When you feel yourself weakening, or losing your momentum, just come here and spill your guts. We'll be behind you all the way, and will do everything we can to support your efforts and help you maintain your course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll be behind you all the way, and will do everything we can to support your efforts and help you maintain your course.
    Thanks TL, that means a lot to me.

And thanks again to Janet, baseballcap and notsureanymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're welcome, Mary. Fact is, you mean a lot to us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mary, I'm really happy for you. That's really good that you found a doctor that you can tell these things to and actually get some help. I know how discouraging (or traumatizing in my case ) it can be to reach out for help with something like this and not have someone reach back. But you reached out and it sounds like your doctor reached back!! Yay, don't you love it when things go like they are supposed to?!

So are you going to see the psychiatrist that he mentioned?

Oh, and I also wanted to say that I think it's great that you shared how you felt about the lack of friends/social life, but I just wanted to tell you that, without question, I count you among my good friends. I guess I just wanted you to know that. Actually your social life seems pretty active with all of your forum action

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast