Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this manic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this manic?

Periodically I have experiences that I have come to associate with mania. However, I don't put much stock in my own self-analysis based on my own self-observation. And though my friends also cue me in to when they feel my behavior is "manic," my friends are not diagnosticians, and they're pretty much in the same ballpark as I'm in, when it comes to recognizing mental health conditions.

Specifically, I fairly frequently have an experience of being unusually hyped up, almost uncontrollably, and in that state I often become very scattered, losing focus on what it is I'm trying to do at the moment. My thoughts at those times tend not to focus on the moment, but rather I become "in my head," usually with euphoric ideas about good things that might happen. At those times there is an intense belief that the good things that might happen are, on some level, already happening. My perception begins to confuse fantasy with reality.

Usually, I can catch myself, take a breath, and "come down." But I wonder if what I am describing is really "mania," or if, in the years that have passed since my single documented manic episode, my impression as to what constitutes mania has become blurred.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is this manic?

That does sound like a pretty good description of hypomania, SG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, then I'm probably tuned into the right frequency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant to add: if I can get a handle on the difference between mania and hypomania, it would be helpful. I tend to think of "mania" as including psychotic symptoms not present in "hypomania," symptoms such as paranoia or an extreme level of delusion. Is this the case?

My friends, anyway, usually only use the word "mania," but that may be because the word "hypomania" is not so much a part of the common vocabulary. In any case, I would guess that what I've been describing is more hypomanic, than manic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Sg, Pardon me for jumping in.........I am bipolar 1. I stay in a hypo or manic state most of the time.

Hypo is pretty much what you describe as David had said. Mania for me anyway is an abundant amount of thinking, racing thoughts, very little need for sleep, taking on ventures that I shouldn't,and spending alot of money , rambling in speech. When it gets very bad, usually from lack of sleep , (lack in diet and exercise add to this) I experience episodes of psychosis. I have auditory and visual hallucinations along with paranoia. This is an extreme episode tho.

I try to journal my bipolar on a scale eachday 1-10.

I have few episodes of depression but when I do they are horrific, since I am so used to the mania.

Hypo for the bipolar 1 is almost a leveled out stage. It is very euphoric and full of grandiosity ( we think we know it all. :roll.

I hope this helps from my perspective. Maybe you can relate to this?
    I am on trileptal and alprazolam, as stress is another big factor in setting off the mania. Trileptal helps combat aggitation and levels me out some. Most meds I've taken have taken away my personality all together, and made me numb.

dd, 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My diagnosis is also bipolar one--or at least it has been, when I was most recently diagnosed. I had one major manic episode including grandiosity, religiosity, paranoia, spending sprees, loss of interest in food and sleep, sexual binges, work binges, etc. That was a couple years ago. Since then I believe I've had hypomanic episodes, but nothing nearly as intense or damaging as the first manic episode. I also have had a couple depressive episodes, maybe three, but more commonly I'm hypomanic, and depressed relatively infrequently.

I'm coming out of a serious depressive episode now though, and starting to put it in perspective. I feel pretty good these days, only drained. I'm taking ten days for increased self-care and self-examination before going back to work. (I came to this decision earlier this evening.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking ten days for increased self-care and self-examination before going back to work. (I came to this decision earlier this evening.)
    SG, I think that what you said is a great idea and self-care is never a bad thing...glad that you decided on that before returning to work.

Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We sound alot alike in our mood changes.

I'm new here, and didn't know about your dx. I am so glad you are out of your depression. , they are the pits for me. But I always say "This too shall pass" and it does, huh?

I hope to get to know you better, and wish you all the luck in the world in your time off and healing after this. If nothing else I always try to look at the bright side of bipolar, the creative side. Do you write.......or enjoy any hobbies that you cling to in times of your mania? I have to stay busy and express my energy as postitively as I can........and when I want to spend, I garage sale it , when I'm able.

Take good care, and hope to hear from you again. People here are so nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People here are very nice, yes, and welcome to the forums. Well, I'm a musician and I wrote a lot of music. Recently I wrote a musical play and there's a link to the web site on my signature. Some of my tunes are uploaded onto the site, although it may be taken down at any minute because I'm late with the fees. I also however will e-mail the script and audio files to anyone who's interested in that kind of thing and has some time on their hands. Otherwise, I write serious classical music and a lot of bad poetry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Thank you!

I'm gonna check it out. My husband is a musician too, but not classical, unless you consider classical rock?

That is awesome, I can't wait to hear it.
    I knew you'd have a talent.
    Thanks again for sharing.

Hope to talk to you soon. dd

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast