Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychotic disorders and water

Hello

I had a marijuana induced psychosis 5 years ago and I've been having residual symptoms ever since. During this period I had two more psychotic breaks and a few days ago I had something close to it. So I'm on a period of recovery.

I never concerned myself with the amount of water I drink per day until recently. In the last days, after the "semi-psychotic-break" (SPB ) I've been drinking water very frequently. What I noticed is that in the periods of the day that I'm frequently drinking water my symptoms remain calm. If I stop for an hour or maybe more, the symptoms start to grow .

Does this make sense? Is this placebo or a real possibility, i.e., can some psychosis be caused by (long term) (semi-) dehydration?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Psychotic disorders and water

I can't say I've ever heard of that as a cause of or trigger for psychosis, Modus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere, that long term semi-dehydration is suspected to cause some mental illnesses, among other things. The problem is that the source was probably not reliable...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know enough about this to say it's impossible - just that I've never heard of it before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know anything about this either however the thought of being able to drink more water and have a mental illness disappear does sound rather inviting. Not that I am suggesting that anyone try it as I don't think that there is any scientific proof that it works but in a perfect world it would be nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dehydration does impact the electrolytes present in the blood, thereby impacting the entire body, including the central nervous system. Altered mental status is often seen in elderly people who are dehydrated (dehydration is quite common amongst the elderly population). While I've never heard of it causing psychosis, it can cause some very odd psychological symptoms.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true, TL, although I think that is associated more with confusion and disorientation, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can i make a comparison here??? david you can remove it if it's out of line or anything.. at least i hope you do.

isn't water for us... a bit like petrol (gas) is to a car?? i mean if we don't drink enough water.. surely our bodies will react negatively.(dehydrate) and this in turn would surely mean that we couldn't possibly behave in the same manner that we'd be used to.. either physically or logically??

If we don't put petrol(gas) in the car.. it will soon run out, slow down and then come to a full stop! (Wouldn't be good to be "stranded" with no petrol would it?)

so we drink water.. we can go....
    petrol in car.. we can go...

does any of this make any sense?? if not just delete it
    (maybe i'm rambling again )

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no question we cannot survive for long or function well without water or without sufficient water (and other metabolites). But Modus is wondering whether that can cause psychosis. i don't think under the circumstances he is describing that that is very likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely understood your comparison and where you are coming from NSA. I do think that we need water to survive but what Modus is talking about I think is something completely different and has nothing to do with surviving.

Side note/question?: Is it just water that our bodies need or is any form of liquid?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast