Advertisement
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bipolar I Disorder versus Bipolar II Disorder

Bipolar I Disorder

Diagnosis of this Bipolar Disorder requires at least one Manic or Mixed episode, but there may be episodes of Hypomania or Major Depression as well. (This diagnosis conforms to the classic concept of manic depressive illness.)

Bipolar II Disorder

Diagnosis of this Bipolar Disorder requires neither a Manic nor a Mixed Episode, but does require at least one episode of hypomania in addition to an episode of Major Depression.

Diagnostic criteria for 296.89 Bipolar II Disorder

A. Presence (or history) of one or more Major Depressive Episodes.

B. Presence (or history) of at least one Hypomanic Episode.

C. There has never been a Manic Episode or a Mixed Episode.

D. The mood symptoms in Criteria A and B are not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and are not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified.

E. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

Re: Bipolar I Disorder versus Bipolar II Disorder

Thanks for posting this info, David. I'd read these descriptions in the DSM IV, and also similar accounts and descriptions on various sites. I think I can accept that my diagnosis is Bipolar I & Hypomanic, as they usually tell me. Last summer (2005) when I began treatment briefly before re-locating in the Bay Area for my job, the doctor in Stockton said she wasn't convinced I was Bipolar I. But she didn't say if she thought I was Bipolar II or not. It will be interesting to see what the doctor says on Friday.

the actual word bipolar...
    means?????

In this context, it means having two distinct emotional states, nsa, one manic, the other depressed.

Thank you TL...

I figured as much but wanted to be sure...

Is there a Bipolar III disorder? I was talking with my friend Barbara the other day, and she said they had her bipolar something-or-another, but she doesn't think it's I or II. They used to have her on lamictal, but took her off of it, and now she only takes clonazepam as needed.

There's no Bipolar III to my knowledge, SG. She mat be thinking of cyclothymia.

I think that's what she's thinking of. I said "schizothymic" because I couldn't remember the word, but now it hits me, "cyclothymic." When I said, "schizothymic," it didn't sound quite right to either of us.

And I suppose that if someone alternates from "normal" to depressed, but doesn't experience hypomania or a manic episode, they have major depressive disorder?

That would make sense to me, but my knowledge is limited. I'd be interested in hearing what Dr. Baxter would say. I *have* read that bipolar people do experience periods of feeling "normal" --not just (hypo)manic or depressed--and that makes sense with my experience.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast